Felix and Pho

Felix's mood ring and the events that followed(Chapter 18):

"What's this?" Felix asked in surprise. Pho was holding out a small wrapped thing, but wouldn't look at him.

Pho pushed it into his hands, avoiding his eyes. "Nothing. It's for you."

He pushed past him into the car, and Felix blinked. Had Pho gotten him a gift?

He followed him into the car, and unwrapped it when in his seat. It was one of the rings he had wanted so badly. A faerie mood ring, which was always accurate. He'd wanted one for a long time, but they were ridiculously expensive.

He looked back at Pho, who was looking out the window. Felix smiled. He was a lot nicer than he let on.

---------------------

Pho pushed himself up. He was bored, being locked in this room. He glanced over to where Felix had constructed a large blanket fort with pillows and blankets and chairs, which there seemed to be an impossible amount of stuffed in closets and chests in the room. It was impressive for the short amount of time, and Pho walked over.

He was angry with himself for not stopping the guards from taking the Dragon away from them. All of them were. But he knew that the Dragon was okay now after he came to visit, he knew that he wouldn't leave the castle without them, and that king wouldn't do anything to hurt their Dragon.

Knowing he was safe, he let his thoughts travel. And his mind went straight from that to the man hiding beneath the pile of pillows.

He wasn't good at expressing his feelings. Buying the ring was the only thing he could think of to let Felix know that he had, in fact, felt their connection and wanted to do something about it. But he soon realized if he wanted anything to happen, he'd have to push himself to cause it, because Felix seemed just as cautious as him.

"Hey," He said, crouching to push the flap aside to look at Felix. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah." He had been laying down, curled around a pillow as he skimmed a book he had found, but he scooted back, giving Pho some space. And there was plenty of room, it was surprisingly sturdy and wide, and Felix beamed when he noticed Pho looking at it. "Keep your wings down."

"Pretty spacious." He said approvingly, his wings disappearing behind him. "You're good at building things."

Felix's cheeks darkened at the casual praise. "Thanks."

Pho's eyes flicked down to the ring on Felix's finger, which had turned a dark pink. Felix noticed him looking.

"Thank you." He said quietly, twisting it on his finger. "I really like it."

"It was nothing. I just thought you'd like it."

"It..." He licked his lips nervously. "It didn't mean anything?"

"Well..." He was unsure where this was going. He never was good at confronting things, especially when it came to Felix. "What did you want it to mean?"

"I don't know." He fiddled with the cover of the book. "I thought you didn't like me. Before you gave me this, that is. You just seemed--I don't know."

"I never disliked you. I just didn't know what I was supposed to do. I've been around Demons most of my life, and you're so...different." He hesitated, rethinking his words. "In a good way, of course. You're sweet, and funny, and you--you smile so much, I--"

"So you like me?" Felix asked, getting bolder, glancing up at him, a shy smile on his face.

"I...like you more than I thought I was going to." He looked away, nervous, which was a strange feeling for him.