THE BEGINNING!

1910, Small Heath, Birmingham

John Shelby and Lilian Davis were the one couple you think would never break up. They'd get married, have kids live happily ever after and they did live happily ever after from the ages of ten to fifteen when Billy Davis decided he had enough of the Shelby's and shipped himself and Lilian away to London where they stayed. The couple did in fact do one of the two they had a child together. Only this child was a daughter who Lilian wouldn't see except for the occasional trips to Birmingham and catch glances of the blonde girl.

Billy never knew about the girl or so everyone thought. Lilian swore at the age of fifteen when she figured out she was pregnant that she would give her daughter to John in the hopes that he'd decide to keep her only when the girl arrived outside Six Watery Lane at midnight on the Eleventh of December 1910 with the bundle that appeared to just be blankets that happened to be just under two hours old, Polly Gray was going to bed when she heard muttering from outside the front door.

The woman obviously had to investigate.

As she opened the door she felt her face twist into confusion as she saw the familiar head of ginger hair, "Lily?"

Hearing her name the girl froze and looked up from the sleeping baby to the woman she saw as her mum, "I'm sorry."

"What for?" Polly asked as she stepped closer to the girl, peering at the blankets. Once she saw what the blanket actually was her hand made its way over her mouth to conceal a gasp.

"She's John's," Lily told her. "I can't keep her, Pol and it hurts me. So please take her before I decide to leave with her." The woman wasted no time grabbing the baby from the girl arms since she was basically throwing the baby at her and cradling her.

"What's her name?"

"She doesn't have one," Lily sniffled, her hands reaching to the back of her neck to unclasp her necklace. "Don't let her lose this and I promise I'll come back one day."

A tired John made his way down the stairs, yawning until he heard Lilian's voice causing his to freeze as he listened in on the conversation behind held just three steps away from until. The teen was confused to say the least but even more confused when he heard the wail of a baby.

Is the baby mine?

No. She would have told me, right?

"John can never know I was here," the girl's voice broke him from his thoughts.

"If you go now, he won't ever find out," Polly told her as she tucked a piece of hair behind the girls ear before kissing her forehead.

"Promise me, you'll look after her," Lilian's voice cracked as she looked at her daughter one last time, stroking her cheek since she had now settled in Polly's arms. The woman and unknowingly to the two John watched Lilian place her necklace, the last thing she had from her own mum, on the baby's blanket.