NINETEEN, may carlton.

enchantedchapter 19, may carlton

enchanted
chapter 19, may carlton.

°•°°•°

A few weeks had passed since Sabini's attack and the London incident as and far as the Shelby's were aware Billy Davis had moved somewhere else to find Lilian. Rory spent her weeks going to school every other day and in the betting shop with Esme in case either of the Davis' decided to show up.

Tommy ordered Finn to watch over Evelyn when he wasn't working at the betting shop but when he was he got Tommy to tell the school to mark Evelyn present but instead she was also at the betting shop where Esme, Rory and Finn could see her, Blinders to watch the house and for Isaiah to escort the blonde everywhere if Tommy, Arthur, John or Michael were busy.

In the past few weeks, Rory had began painting which took up more room than John and Esme thought so she mainly did it at Pol's new house which the woman didn't mind since it meant that Rory and Michael got closer and she got to spend more time with the blonde girl.

As Rory watched Esme lift the books, being no help at all since she sat doodling on the work the school had given her to complete. "Either do the work or help me, the whole point of this is so you still learn things they would be teaching you at school," Esme told her giving her a stern look. There was a knock at the door so Esme shouted, "We're not open for winnings yet."

The voice then called back, "I'm here to see Thomas Shelby." Esme looked to the girl.

Rory looking up her step-mum, "Reckon he's sleeping with her?"

"Shut up and go open the door, tell her to come in," and Rory stood up, huffing and walked over to the door.

May wasn't expecting a child to answer the door so she stared at Rory. "I get it you weren't expecting a child but you need to come in otherwise they'll all think we're open and we're not," she told the woman.

"I have an appointment," she told the girl as she walked past her and towards Esme who was now standing in front of her stopping her from venturing further into the betting shop.

"May Carlton," she told Esme holding out her hand.

"Mr Shelby has his proper meetings in his other office," Esme told her.

May lowered her hand, "This was the address that he gave me."

"Why this address?" Rory asked confused.

May turned to look at her, "He said it was a gambling den, I told him that I wanted to see one since I'm always reading about them in the papers."

"Why? It's literally a room with books, workers, a chalkboard with the bets and then men throwing money at you. It's nothing special, you're wasting your time," Rory told her rolling her eyes.

"The Telegraph say they're quite a scandal lately," she replied and Rory rolled her eyes.

"They've always been a scandal," she muttered.

"Anyway, he said I could come and have a look and I feel like a bit of an idiot because I'm early and he's late and I have no idea how to behave," she told them looking around.

"In a gambling den?" both Rory and Esme asked.

"I'll wait in the car."

"Don't do that, just wait here and we'll be nice, I swear it's just if we open the door again then they'll think we're open," Rory told her stepping in front of her stopping her from walking.

Esme put the books she had hold of earlier on a different table and turned to May asking, "So what are you?"

""What" am I?" May asked confused.

"To Thomas," Esme answered while Rory said, "Job wise."

"I'm going to train his racehorse for Epsom," May told them.

"He got a new horse and I didn't know about it?! What a prick" She exclaimed.

Esme turned to May, "You know horses?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Well obviously if she's a horse trainer, what did you expect her know? Cars?" Rory asked sarcastically earning a pointed look from Esme.

May ignored Rory's sarcastic comment and asked Esme if she knew horses as-well to which she replied, "Born riding. I slept in a manger when I was a baby."

May then looked over Rory who replied, "I've got a horse but I can't go riding because I'm not allowed anywhere by myself and Isaiah can't ride a horse either because he's useless."

"I was born riding too," May told them and the door opened and John bounded in slamming the door.

"For christs sake will you stop slamming doors, one of these days it going to fall on you and I'm going to laugh and say I told you to stop but you didn't listen," Rory told him, he waved her off and continued his rant.

"There's a fucking great Riley parked out there and nobody's watching it," he rambled, walking over to Rory ruffling her hair making her slap his hand away.

"John, this woman says she's training Thomas' horse," Esme told the man standing in front of May. He looked her up and down, nodding his head. "He's told us a lot about you." Rory watched the scene in front of her with a smirk holding in her laugh.

"You don't know where he is, do you?" May asked and another door opened making John nod his head towards the door.

Tommy walked through the open door, "Sorry, I'm late." He cleared his throat before continuing. "There was a family matter. Esme keep it locked up for a minute."

"Yes, Thomas," she obeyed him and walked away.

Tommy then told May he'd show her around and Rory watched as the smile never left her dad's face as he dipped his head before walking away. Tommy looked at Rory who was chewing her pencil. "Do I have to leave too or can I sit here quietly doing my work?" she asked.

"We both know you're not doing your work but you can stay," he replied and she nodded and picked up her stuff walking over to Esme's desk and sitting in front of her, actually doing her work this time while May walked around.

John popped his head out his office and called for Rory, "Come here a minute I need to speak to you."

She left her school work and walked over to her dad's office. "What's up?" she asked sitting down.

"I got a phone call last night from your auntie Ada and she said there was a man asking about the Shelby's and more specifically you. So that means Billy's going to be back soon and it didn't help you going to London to find Lilian," he told her leaning on the desk.

"Like I told you. You live in a fantasy world, dad. She was always going to find me whether or not I went looking for her to not. She's not my mum anyway, Esme is," she replied, sitting next to him on the desk. "What if he comes back?"

"Then you go on the road with the Lee's," he replied and for once she didn't try to protest about living outside and walked back out while her dad called Esme into his office to see if she could get the Lee's on board with his plan if anything was to happen and she told him that she'd take Rory with her to ask them and John nodded and sent her to tell Tommy where she was going.