TWENTY THREE, derby day.

enchantedchapter 23, derby day

enchanted
chapter 23, derby day.

°•°°•°

As it was Derby day, the boys and Pol made their way to Epsom while Tommy was in London with Ada and Arthur and Michael were still in prison. In the hopes of Epsom being a success, Rory had made her way to the cut with a new blinder that didn't go to Epsom. This blinder was called Robert, now Rory didn't mind Robert, he was nice enough to have around when Isaiah or wasn't there the only problem was he'd be watching her like a hawk.

On their way to the cut they stopped at Evelyn's house to see if she wanted to tag along and the girl quickly agreed, so quick Rory didn't even finish her sentence before Evelyn was closing her front door and walking beside her best friend.

"What's going on? You were very quick out of the door then," Rory asked confused and Evelyn shrugged her off.

"Nothing, just had an argument with my mum and Louis."

"About what?" the blonde questioned again. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want," she backtracked.

"No, it's fine I'll tell you, she's just always on at me about being friends with you, Finn Frey and Lots," she replied quietly.

Rory frowned slightly, "Oh-"

"I've told her you and Finn aren't anything like Tommy, Arthur and your dad about a million times but she's still not having it. You're my best friend and the only person that's there for me so I'm not going to let anyone, especially my mum, take you away from me," Evelyn replied cutting Rory off.

Rory looked at the girl, "I don't want my family's name to come between you and your family."

"You're not, don't worry," Evelyn reassured her.

When they got to the cut, they sat on the bench and Robert stood by them watching them talk about anything and everything.

°•°°•°

A few hours later, Robert walked Evelyn and Rory off home and when Rory walked through her front door he was sat in the living room waiting for Rory.

"When did you get back?" Rory asked just as John asked, "Where've you been?"

"About an hour," John replied.

"The cut with Evelyn and Robert," Rory replied.

"Who's Robert?" he asked.

"New blinder? Did Tommy not tell you? He's only there while Isaiah was away," she told him, beginning to take her coat off.

"Come on, we're late" John told her, standing up.

Rory looked confused while putting her coat back on. "Late to where?" she asked following behind her dad.

"Betting den."

After speaking with Queen Mary Lee, the Blinders were given full use of the Lee boys in order to take Epsom meaning the day was a success.

As they got the betting den with all the Peaky Blinders there, Michael and Arthur included it was made clear to everyone if they didn't already know, The Peaky Blinders had taken Epsom. They had defeated Sabini and The Shelby Company was the leading organisation in the racing and the gambling world.

Rory ran straight over to Arthur, hugging him as tight as she possibly could, having missed him while he was in prison. The man wasn't expecting Rory, the girl who hated people touching her, to hug him so was nearly knocked over by the force of her.

"You been good while I've been away sunshine?" he questioned her when he stopped spinning her around.

"Yeah," she nodded. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, kid," he ruffled the top of head before he looked at Eve and ruffled her hair telling her how much he missed her.

"What about me?" Freya asked.

"Of course I missed you, Frey," Arthur smiled and pulled the girl into a hug.

After Arthur stopped annoying the girls, she walked to find Esme or Finn or literally anyone that wasn't high or drunk.

"RIGHT!" Arthur shouted, jumping up onto the bar. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to raise a toast! To the Small Heath Rifles! To the Lee boys! And to the Peaky fucking Blinders! Who's gonna stop us, eh?"

Rory watched the way her dad looked at Esme as she stood laughing with Johnny Dogs. She watched the sad expression on his face as Rory got pulled away to talk to Johnny Dogs she missed the way her dad looked her with the same expression, Lizzie's words from earlier, echoing every time he looked at the two of them laughing, talking. "I don't see the same thing in your eyes that I see in Tommy's. You should get out. Take Rory somewhere where she's safe, safe from this life. Somewhere all of you, Esme included, can live a good life away from this life." Watching his daughter and wife, spend time with the Lee's and eachother made him want to take them away from this life. Take them far away from Small Heath, far away the horrors that come from the Shelby name. Some of the horrors his daughter had already experienced and she was only twelve made him want to send her away with the Lee's just for a bit, just so she knew what it was like to be a proper child, to have a proper childhood and let her live with the freedom she deserved, not have Isaiah or a different blinder follow her around everywhere she went.

Rory caught her dad's eyes and smiled at him and he smiled back but the look in his eyes didn't change.

"I'll be back," she told Johnny Dogs and Esme who watched her walk over to John. "What's up?"

"Nothing, it's fine. Go get Esme a second and stay with Johnny Dogs please," he replied and she nodded and walked back to Esme, sending her over to John.

While John stood outside with Esme he told her what Lizzie had said and Esme said she'd be happy with wherever they ended up, whether it be in Birmingham or on the road as long as she had him, the kids and their new baby she'd be happy.

They got back inside and told Rory about the new baby and she was more than excited to have another brother or sister.