𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙫𝙚, 𝙝𝙚'𝙨 𝙜𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙢𝙖𝙙

It's the next day but I still haven't gotten out of bed. It's noon, and all classes have ended, but I skipped.

I hear my door creak open and in walks Lilly. "Hi Rory, are you ready to talk?"

Lilly found me crying last night, I told her I didn't wanna talk about it. That i'll talk to her tomorrow. Now that tomorrow is officially here—I can't seem to even have the words to say it.

"Aurora what happened?" She asks softly, pieces of her messy ponytail falling into her face.

I take a deep breath through my nose and exhale through my mouth. "I-" I start to speak but can't.

Lilly frowns "Was it Mattheo?"

I meet eyes with her and her expression turns angry "What the hell did he do to you?"

I shake my head "He's gone mad Lillian...something happened to him and I—" I start to cry

Lilly runs over to my bed and engulfs me in a tight hug "Don't cry..." She mumbles. "I'm sorry, maybe I was wrong, you need to stay away from him if he's making you feel this way."

I shake my head "No—Lilly you don't understand. He's not himself something is wrong with him, he's gone mad."

She gives me a sad look "You don't have to defend him."

"I'm telling the truth," I whisper "He told me his ex-best friend is alive and that she said I killed my mom."

Her eyes widen and she lets me go. "What?"

I nod. Honestly, I don't know how to feel about this entire situation. Mattheo wouldn't say something like that—especially to me. So he has to have something done to him. Either that or he's been playing this entire time, he's been playing us.

Lillian clears her throat and grabs my hand, squeezing it. "You don't believe him, do you?" she asks, her voice soft.

"I—I don't know, I can barely remember anything from that night, do you think it can be a possibility?"

She shakes her head "No, not at all. Your mom meant everything to you. You wouldn't do that and, you aren't a murderer."

"But—"

She cuts me off putting a finger to my lips. "What about that guy who was there that night—the one who was smiling? Do you think he's still alive, maybe this is him."

I move her finger away from my lips, placing it in her lap. "But why? Why would they make Mattheo act like this? And is this girl that he's talking about even actually alive or is he seeing things?"

Lilly shrugs and places a hand on my shoulder. "I don't know but you should really not worry about this. Maybe Mattheo was just sleep-deprived?"

I shake my head, I don't believe that for a second. "Was he in class today?"

She doesn't reply.

"See. Something is wrong. It's normal for him to be late—but to completely skip?"

She shrugs before leaving my bed and going to hers. "Let's not worry okay?"

"Lillian no. I can't stop thinking—my mind won't stop working at this." I say, my voice getting a bit louder each word.

Lilly sighs before shaking her head "So he's gone mad?"

"Yes."

"Well, what do you wanna do about this—" she gets cut off by a loud knock coming from our door.

She rolls her eyes "Great. Who could that be?"

I shrug and lay down on my side so I'm facing the wall. It's hard enough for me to talk to Lilly—I cannot stand talking to anyone else.

Lilly gets up and walks over to the door, opening it, and coming face to face with a guy, I can't tell who. I hear Lilly yell and that's when my brain puts the pieces together—Mattheo.

I look over and see Lilly get lightly shoved before Mattheo walks in. He looks better than yesterday—way better. His cut is a bit scabbed, he looks rested, he looks clean, but his expression is empty. "M-mattheo what are you doing here?" I manage to let out.

He stares at me for what feels like an eternity before he softly whispers "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"I—I wasn't myself yesterday. I don't know what happened but—"

I cut him off "What do you mean you don't know? You told me I murdered my own mother."

He stays quiet for a moment and his gaze softens "I—I don't remember that."

I get up from my bed and walk over to him. I look up at him and tilt my head a little "What do you remember?" I ask, my tone soft.

He shrugs "I remember you crying, that's it. I woke up to my dorm trashed."

I look down but he lifts my chin with his finger "What else did I say to you?"

I stare at him for a few seconds before pushing his hand away and backing up. "It's not important."

He's about to reply when Lilly interrupts "You should leave, Mattheo."

He shakes his head "I'm not leaving you."

"And why is that?" I ask

He shrugs "You tell me."

Lilly sighs "Fine. I'll leave you two to it then. Rory just yell if you need me." She leaves the dorm, closing the door quietly.

I shake my head at Mattheo and blow out a breath "I'm not mad at you." I finally say.

He lifts a brow "Oh really?"

I nod and cross my arms  "I—It wasn't your fault."

He nods his head before walking closer to me. He lifts my chin with his finger as he looks down at me. "I think I know who it was." He whispers.

My brows furrow as I try to think of who he thinks it is. "Who?"

He lets out a deep breath before engulfing me in a hug—which I was not expecting. His arms wrap around my neck and he lays his head on top of mine. "I don't want to believe it but, it's the only person that makes sense, the only man who knows that kind of magic, the only man who would be willing to do it."

I freeze for a few seconds before wrapping my arms around his torso as my heart beats faster each second. "Mattheo who do you think it is?"

"You have to promise not to think I'm crazy."

"You already are." I joke.

He laughs but squeezes me slightly "Seriously though, promise me?"

I nod "I promise."

"I think my father's alive."

what.