𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣, 𝙩𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙚𝙙 𝙢𝙖𝙜𝙞𝙘

MATTHEO RIDDLE
-ten-

     Violet rushes around the kitchen as she cooks my dinner. Her pitch-black hair is tied up messily with an old sock of hers that she washed. She's wearing mom's old clothes that are a little small for her. I sit on the carpet by our tiny table for two as I watch. I feel bad for her, I always do. "we don't have to eat tonight," I say

She walks out of our small kitchen and puts her hands on his hips "Excuse me?"

I shrug "You still have to shower, and do laundry."

She sighs and smiles at me "It's okay. Food is a necessity." she walks back into the kitchen and I shake my head, mumbling things to myself. She always does this and I'm worried about her. She goes to school, cleans the house, makes food, and takes care of me. She shouldn't have to.

I don't know much about our family. I only know of Violet. But, she's told me loads of stories. Like my father, that awful man. I sometimes cry when I think about him, I sometimes feel nauseous thinking that I have the same blood as a cold-blooded killer. For my mother? According to Violet, my mother was a wonderful woman. She was remarkably kind to everyone around her and she took care of Violet, for the most part. Violet was 6 when my father went missing. She said mother cried tears of joy at the thought of him not returning, him not being able to harm her babies.

I was just a newborn when my father went missing—or died you can say. They never found a body, I sometimes ask Violet about it and she shrugs it off and changes the topic, or she'll say something like "he's dead Theo, don't worry" or "He's gone." I guess you could say I don't believe that not for a second.

My mother died when I was three years old. She had a horrible illness that couldn't be cured. I don't remember much of anything but I do see a blurry image in my head, one of Violet crying while her fingers lightly caress my cheek. I don't remember my mother quite at all, sometimes I get sad thinking that I know nothing of the people I was born from.

Magic. Violet told me I was a wizard when I was 9, I'm 10 now. I didn't believe her at first. But, it's true. Even though I'm only half wizard, according to Violet that half was due to my father being one. My mother wasn't. Violet said that there's a school for witches and wizards—that one day maybe she'll let me go. But, father went to that school. She said that she never went and that she didn't want to. But, if I want to I can, when I turn eleven.

-eleven-

today I got a Hogwarts letter. Violet sat me down at our tiny table and let out a long sigh "I went to get the post today," she began

I nod my head to let her know I'm listening "You got a letter, from Hogwarts."

My eyes widen and I start shaking my head over and over again "No! No. no. no." I never want to go to that awful school, I'm never gonna be my father, I'm not my father. I'm not a wizard.

She sighs "Oh Mattheo" her voice turns soft and her fingers make their way to my face, her hand cupping my cheek. "Maybe you should go..."

I let out a gasp "Are you trying to get rid of me!?" my mind starts going a million miles a minute, is she tired of me? am I turning into my father, does she think I am?