𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙤𝙣𝙚, 𝙘𝙤𝙥𝙮𝙘𝙖𝙩

It's been a couple of hours since Madison caught Mattheo and me kissing, it's been a couple of hours since we found out that she's basically a zombie. It's been a couple of hours of Mattheo and I in his dorm—him staring at the ceiling.

We haven't spoken. To be quite honest I'm scared to. I don't want to say the wrong thing, I don't want to do anything I shouldn't. Eventually, he finally breaks the silence "So, today was something." He jokes

I smile softly and chuckle "Yeah, it was."

He looks over at the digital clock on his nightstand and it reads 10:36 am. "And oh god it's not even noon yet." He says, turning on his side to face me.

I give him a warm smile "Yeah..."

He frowns slightly "What's wrong?"

"Nothing I'm fine don't worry about me."

"I'm always gonna worry about you," he whispers "That'll never change."

I look away from him as my face turns pink. "Well, I'm the one who should be worried about you," I say

He shakes his head "You have a zombie twin sister who you didn't know existed until a few hours ago."

I let out a fake laugh "When you put it like that..." I don't finish my sentence, not really knowing what to say.

"Look," I begin "Can I ask you a question?"

He nods "Of course, what's up?"

"Did you love her?"

His expression falls and he just looks at me, he doesn't say anything which honestly scares me. "Mattheo did you love her?"

"I did."

"How did you love her? Like a friend, a sister?"

"More than that," he whispers "But, not anymore,"

I shake my head and look away. I know I shouldn't be angry. And I'm not. Kinda. I look like her. I know I do, but I'm the downgrade. Even if she's dead—she looks alive. She looks perfect. Did he just immediately think I'm beautiful because I remind him of her?

"What are you thinking about?" He asks, moving my hair behind my ear.

"When you first saw me...when we met, did you want to talk to me, get to know me, because I reminded you of her?"

He doesn't reply. "You aren't her."

"That's not what I asked."

"When I first saw you, yes. I did immediately think of her. But, you're different. A good different."

I don't reply. I honestly don't really know what I'm feeling, I don't know what to say. I don't know. He thought of Madison. No wonder he was so obsessed with me, he never even met me, yet he was so interested. I always wondered why, and now that I do? I wish I never knew.

I think it was better that I stayed away. I wish I stayed away. "Oh." I finally manage to mutter.

I look away but I can feel his eyes burning into my head. It makes my heart beat faster every second that passes. "You know it's not like that after I got to know you. Aurora, not Madison—I knew that I like you, not her."

"But you still loved her." I say softly "Do you still love her?"

He doesn't reply for a few minutes and that's when I got it. He does. He loves her. "Okay. Well, I have my answer." I say getting up from his bed.

"No. No Aurora don't leave. She 'died' a year ago. Those feelings aren't just gonna disappear."

I sigh, I feel awful. He's right. I shouldn't be mad. I shouldn't be sad. His best friend—the girl he loved died. He saw a girl—me—who looks almost exactly like her, it makes sense. Right? "I know—I know. But, I can't be a rebound. Look I haven't ever had a boyfriend before you, and I want it to be special. I want you to immediately like me for me."