chapter five - smoking

Rolling over, i grabbed my phone to check the time.

5:37am

I climbed out of bed, chucked on a hoodie and my shoes and quietly left the room. Once i reached the outside of the ship, i pulled out my pack of cigarets. The flame from the lighter radiated warmth onto my cold hands. Smoking was a habit i picked up just about a year ago. I'm not have chain smoker but i'll have one every now and then.

Footsteps followed behind me. I turned my head and was faced with a tall figure that was walking towards me. I wasn't quite able to make out their face so i just turned around, trying not to come across as a creep. Social media's useless information flooded my brain until i was sucked out of my trance when i felt a presence next to me.

Colby?

"A smoker, huh? Wouldn't have guessed that." His voice was raspy as if he had just woken up.

"Want one?" I offered

He tiredly nodded, watching as i grabbed out my packet. I gave him the cigarette and he pressed it against his lips. Covering the wind, i lit the object, watching as the flame spread slowly. We sat there together peacefully in silence. It felt nice. The streets were quiet, no people around. It felt as if i wasn't in any danger and nothing could harm me.

"I'm really sorry about yesterday. I hope i didn't ruin your video or anything." I said, sharply inhaling the smoke from my cigarette.

"Lily you haven't ruined anything. If anything the content we got is amazing. But the most important thing is if you're okay." Colby replied.

I sat there silent for a bit. Eventually i nodded my head. I didn't really want to talk about me. I came out here to avoid that. He got the hint to drop the conversation so we just sat in silence, admiring the beauty of the city.

"What do you enjoy the most in life Colby?" I questioned.

"This. Exactly this Lily..." He responded, directing his eyes to everything around him.

"I like that about you. You're not what i thought you would be." I said while putting out my cigarette. He looked over at me and smiled. His eyes were puffy and red.

"Wait..are you okay? your eyes are red and you look like you haven't slept a wink." I asked concerned.

"Yeah. I'm alright. Just had a bad sleep is all." He muttered while facing away from him.

Without even noticing, all the small talk and the city lights, the sun had risen and people began to wander around the streets. I checked my phone when i noticed a text from someone.

6:38am
3 New Message
Amzie
Where are you? Are you with Colby because he isn't here either. You better not be with him.

6:46am
Amzie
Lily answer your phone i swear to god. Where are you?

7:01am
Amzie
Answer your phone right now Lily. I know you're getting these messages.

"Jesus christ.." i mumbled

Colby looked over at me and then glanced down at my phone. A puzzled look formed on his face.

"What does she mean by 'You better not be with him." Why would it matter if you are?" Colby asked.

Sighing, i turned off my phone and looked at him.

"She's just...obsessive and jealous. She will get over it. It's not my fault we both woke up early and had the same idea." I said while looking back towards the ground.