chapter 13 - cafe

"Lily! Get your ass downstairs right now!" I jolted awake from my nap at the sound of Amy's voice echoing through the house.

"Lily i swear to god if you don't"

"i'm here in here calm down." i said cutting her off. The smell of pasta lingered through the house. My stomach grumbled at the sight of it.

"Freshly made for you. Think of it as an apology to everything that happened on our trip."

"Thank you Amzie." I brought the plate closer to me, immediately bringing the fork to my mouth.

"Have you thought about going back to LA yet?" Amy said with a mouth full of food.

"Gross Amy eat with your mouth closed. I've thought about it but i'm not sure." I stood up and carried my plate to the sink, rinsing it clean.

"Please Lily we both deserve a little holiday." She begged.

"I don't even know how long we would be there for. I'm in my last year of psych and i can't afford to fall behind in my study's. A week. Max." I sighed, walking back up stairs. Amy shouted repeated thank you, telling me how much she loves me and how everything will be fine. I'm positive it will be fine, now that we've cleared the air.

Lils 🖤
Amy and i discussed it. I'll come back to LA too. Well come back next break? I can't go when i'm still studying. A week max.

I put my phone back down and headed over to my vanity. I had about an hour to get ready for work. I had been so busy lately and it's getting exhausting. From juggling my studying, to working part time and finding time to hang out with friends and family. My schedule was always fully booked. I've been working at a local cafe for 2 years now. I know every regular and what they are going to order. My co-works are lovely and the pay is decent.

Knocking came from my door until Amu barged in. "You ready to go? I'll drop you off since Eloise and I are catching up at your work."

"Yeah i'm ready but don't annoy me while i'm there." I picked up my bag and walked out the front door.

"I dibs aux." Before Amy could react, I was already connecting my phone and hitting shuffle on my playlist.

Shame - Summer Walker

The music played as we headed towards my work. Amy never really liked my music taste but this song she seemed to enjoy.

In a perfect world
You're understanding, I'm not a perfect girl
I would drop my fears at the door
I would only bring myself and nothing more

As the music drowned out my thoughts, i zoned out, preparing for the next 5 hours of taking orders and hanging out drinks.

At the cafe

My shift was almost over, only 30 minutes left to go.

"Hey welcome to Kinship Cafe, what could i get for you?" I greeted as usual.

"A regular flat white and your number." The stranger smirked while leaning down onto the counter, grinning as he scanned my face. I chuckled in response to his statement.

"You're a funny one. A regular flat white. Anything else?" I stood there, amused by his obvious defeat.

"A date with you. 7pm tomorrow night at Ann's diner." He said with a straight face.

"I like it. Cheesy but well said with confident. Your total is $5.95." As he handed me a $10 bill i began to get the leftover money from the till.

"Keep the change gorgeous." He winked, grabbing my hand as a way to flirt with me. He walked off as i began to make his coffee.

Before calling out his order, i wrote my number on the lid of the cup.

"Regular flat white!" I called out over the deafening sound of the music.

The blonde stranger from earlier looked down and observed the lid. "See you at 7 tomorrow. I'm expecting you." My cheeks turned a cherry red as he walked out the door.

Back at Lily's house

"Oh come on you have to tell us. You were all hot and flustered when we picked you up. Who is this man? Is he hot? What does he look like. What's his name?" Amy and her rapid fire questions was no surprise. She was always like this, ever since we were little.

"Slow down on the quiz. He's quite good looking. Blonde, tall, blue eyes. Pretty much what every girl dreams off. I don't actually know his name but he convinced me to somehow go on a date with him tomorrow night."

"Oh my god! You haven't dated anyone since Ben. Except that didn't turn out well." Her little rant was cut short at the sound of a text blaring through my phone.

+1 new message

Colbs🖤