3

Gabriella got home and set her things down. She made her way next door to Ms. Rivera's home and knocked on the door. Ms. Rivera opened the door and looked concerned once she saw the cut on Gabriella's lip. "Where's Mateo?" She asked. Ms. Rivera continued to stare at her lip, "He's just in the living room...are you alright?" She asked. Gabriella touched her lip when she realized what Ms. Rivera was staring at.

"Oh, it's just a little cut. Nothing crazy." Gabriella brushed off. "These fights are too dangerous for you, Gabby." Ms. Rivera frowned. Gabriella stayed silent and looked off. "You have a 7-year-old son to think about." She said. "Yeah, a 7-year-old son I do this to provide for. As far as I see it, I'm still alive and well. Small bruises and cuts don't phase me." Gabriella argued.

"But what happens when it's not just bruises and cuts?" Ms. Rivera asked. Gabriella stayed silent. "What happens to him then? He needs you, Gabby. You know his dad barely ever takes care of him." Ms. Rivera said. "Mommy!" Mateo shouted and hugged her legs. She picked him up in her arms and hugged him. She was sore and in slight pain but she didn't want to let it show.

"Hi baby." She softly spoke and rocked him in her arms. He pulled back and stared at her face. He gently put his small hands on her cheeks and frowned when he noticed the cut, "What happened mommy? Does it hurt?" He asked. Ms. Rivera stood silent and stared at her. Gabriella softly smiled and shook her head. "Not at all baby. It's just a little scratch." She replied.

"Did they hurt you bad?" He asked. "You should see the other girl." She slightly smirked. "So you won?" He asked. "Of course I did." She replied. He smiled and hugged her. Ms. Rivera stood in the doorway with her arms crossed and look of disappointment in her eyes. "Thanks for watching him." Gabriella politely replied and walked back toward her home with her son in her arms.

None of the criticism was new to her. She's heard it all before. That she needs to be a 'proper' mother. That she should be more 'womanly' and stay home. That she should find a good man and settle down because her son 'needs a good male role model' in his life. She did more than any mother or man combined and it still wasn't enough for people. So every bit of frustration and anger she had against the world, she put in the ring.

She locked the door behind her and set Mateo down. "Go upstairs and get ready for bed. I'll be up in a minute." She said. He nodded and rushed upstairs. She waited until he was fully upstairs to walk off toward the kitchen. Her shoulders hurt and body was sore. She grabbed an ice pack from the fridge and iced her shoulder.

She leaned against the island counter and silently sobbed. She was so overwhelmed by the stress that she didn't know what else to do. Her son's father was a piece of crap who prioritized his own needs over his son. The fight to keep her title and earn money with every fight just to keep a roof over their heads was so much pressure. But keeping her son somewhat of a secret was another. She kept his presence low just to keep him away from the media and any other threats to his safety.

The less anyone knew about him the better. People were low enough to use her son as a weak point. They were also shitty enough to give her hell about 'not being a good enough mother' for doing work like this but they never shit on men as much for doing the same.

She made her way upstairs after getting a good cry out and easing her soreness. She checked on Mateo and saw him curled up under his sheets waiting for her. She entered the room and tucked him in properly. "Get rest." She softly spoke and kissed his head. He nodded and shut his eyes. She turned on his small night light and left the room.

--
Gabriella got ready for bed and eased into the comfort of her bed. All that she could think about was the meeting she had with Taylor and her team. All that replayed back were all the things her team members said about Taylor's previous fights. She sounded like a rough fighter.