21

Gabriella rushed around to grab her keys and slip on her shoes. She put Mateo's backpack on him. "I'll see you later tonight baby." Gabriella said kissing his forehead. "Why are you in a hurry for?" Taylor asked. "I have to get to the gym, I'm running late. Marcos gets on my ass if I'm not there on time." Gabriella said. "You said ass." Mateo said. Gabriella slightly glared down at him, "You, don't repeat that." She scolded. Mateo nodded.

Taylor softly laughed. "I'll see you later tonight." Gabriella smiled and pecked her lips before rushing off. "Ready for school?" Taylor asked Mateo. Mateo smiled and nodded. She grabbed her keys and left the house with him.

--
"Strike!" Wes shouted as Taylor threw punches at the pads in his hands. "Keep going." He said as he stayed firm. Her mind wandered for a moment. Wes noticed her distraction and lowered his hands. "You alright?" He asked. Taylor thought to herself for a moment. "Do you think there's some fights that aren't worth fighting?" Taylor asked. Wes looked confused. "Why do you ask that?"

"Ian wants me to fight Gabriella. It seems like everyone wants me to fight her but it's for their own reasons. Ian wants the cut of the profit, everyone wants to watch for entertainment and betting. Everyone has something to gain from it but what do I gain?" Taylor asked. "Money, titles, sponsors." Wes shrugged. Taylor sighed and looked off. None of that seemed important at the moment. "What is this about? You wanted this fight before what's the problem now?" He asked.

Taylor stayed silent. Wes thought for a moment. "I never got to ask...who does Mateo belong to?" He asked. Taylor looked at him and didn't respond. "You know I'm forever loyal to you and you can trust me right?" He asked. "Gabriella." Taylor replied. He stared at her for a moment, part of him was surprised but part of him wasn't. "You can't say a thing she doesn't want any of that out." Taylor replied.

"Are you dating?" He asked. Taylor shrugged, "In a way." She replied. A smile crept up on his lips, "That's why you changed your mind?" He asked. "It wasn't the plan." She said. " I was just supposed to get her to agree to a fight and then I got to know her and her son and..." she sighed. "You grew attached." He said. "She was just supposed to be another opponent. Now she just makes me question everything. Like somehow none of this feels right anymore." Taylor replied.

"What do you mean?" Wes asked. "Every time I stepped into a fight, I just never saw them as another human. I just went in and saw them as threats I needed to take out. She made me see her in a different light. Different from what the media says or assumes. I got to know...her." Taylor replied. Wes softly smiled, "You love her."

"Love is a strong word." Taylor replied. "Then what do you call it?" He asked. Taylor shrugged, "I care about her and her son." She said. "That's called love." Wes replied. "That's called caring." Taylor replied. Wes rolled his eyes. "Whatever you say." He replied. "You can't tell Ian, I'm serious." She glared. Wes nodded, "Secret is safe with me."

--

Taylor got home and the house was quiet. She quietly made her way upstairs, exhausted and desperately just wanting to curl up in bed with Gabriella and sleep. She stopped by Mateo's room and poked her head in. He appeared to be sleeping but she heard sniffling. She carefully approached the bed and saw Mateo shaking under the sheets.

"Mateo?" Taylor softly asked. She gently touched his arm and he flinched and moved away. "Mateo it's me. What's wrong?" She asked. He slowly turned to look at her. His eyes looked puffy and red, his cheeks were stained with tears, and he was trembling with fear. "What happened?" She asked. He wiped the tears on his cheeks. "H-He hit me." He replied.

"What do you mean? Who hit you?" Taylor asked. "D-Dad." Mateo replied. "Did you tell your mom?" Taylor asked. Mateo shook his head, "He said if I told h-he would hurt us." He replied. "Where did he hit you?" Taylor asked. Mateo pointed to his back. He turned as Taylor carefully lifted the back of his shirt. There were red marks on his back that were sure to turn to bruises.

She glared as she stared at his back and pulled his shirt back down. "I'll be back." She said as she stood up from the bed. The anger and frustration was rushing through her. She clenched her fists in frustration and walked toward the door. "Where are you going?" He asked scared of her leaving him alone. "I'll be back." She quietly replied and left the room.

Taylor stormed off downstairs and to her car. She sat and gripped the steering wheel for a moment. There were no rational thoughts, just anger. She wanted to hurt Damien. There was something holding her back and saying it was a bad idea. But there was another part that wanted him dead. That was the part that took over as she started the car and drove off.