14

Taylor returned from the gym exhausted. The long training hours helped her take all her anger and frustration out. She rang the doorbell to Gabriella's home and waited for an answer. Gabriella opened the door and smiled to see Taylor on the other side. Taylor dropped her gym bag and wrapped Gabriella in her arms. "Is everything okay?" Gabriella asked as she held her. "Its just been a long day." Taylor sighed.

Gabriella pulled away and gently touched her face. Taylor relaxed in her touch and gently put her hand over hers. "Why don't you go up to bed and I'll bring you food?" Gabriella asked. Taylor nodded. "Taylor!" Mateo shouted. They quickly pulled away and Mateo ran over. She smiled and scooped him up in her arms. "Someone's feeling better." She said.

He nodded. "I am." He smiled. Gabriella smiled and gently messed with his curls. "Good because you're starting school soon." Gabriella replied. He frowned at the mention of school. "I don't want to go." He frowned. "You have to." Gabriella replied. "Will you take me?" He asked. "I have training so I can't. But the sitter will." Gabriella said.

"I can take him." Taylor replied. "Yes!" Mateo smiled. "No." Gabriella replied. "Why not?" Taylor asked. "I can't ask you to do that." Gabriella replied. "Please mommy." He pouted. "Please." Taylor mimicked and pouted. Gabriella stared at them unamused. "Please!" They begged. Gabriella playfully rolled her eyes and laughed. "Fine." She caved.

"Yes!" Mateo said as he and Taylor high fived. "Go eat your dinner." Gabriella said as Taylor set him down. "Okay." He said as he ran off. "You didn't have to do that you know." Gabriella said. "I wanted to." Taylor shrugged. "Do you want me to pick him up after?" She asked. Gabriella shook her head, "Damien picks him up after school."

Taylor scowled at the mention of his name. "He drops him off by the time I get home from training." Gabriella explained. "What time do you finish?" Taylor asked. "About 8. Why?" She asked. "Just curious." Taylor shrugged. She wanted to be there just to make sure he wouldn't put his hands on her again, but she didn't want to bring up that painful reminder. "Now come eat something because I know you didn't eat well today." Gabriella said grabbing her hand and leading her to the kitchen.

--
Taylor and Gabriella were relaxing in bed, full from dinner and exhausted. Gabriella shut her eyes to relax. Taylor stared up at the ceiling and bit her lip in thought. "Gabby?" Taylor quietly asked. "Hm?" Gabriella tiredly replied. Taylor sat up causing Gabriella to open her eyes. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"I know what you said about not having space for a relationship but..."Taylor sighed. Gabriella sat up concerned. "Is it because of Damien?" Taylor asked. Gabriella stayed silent and looked off. Taylor turned to look at her. "I know we're not putting a label on this but I think you and I both know this is something more now." Taylor said.

Gabriella sighed, "I guess it's partly because...I don't want to confuse Mateo." She replied. "Why would he be confused?" Taylor asked. "I don't want him to get attached and disappointed. His dad already disappoints him enough. Now if I introduce someone new and it doesn't work out, then what? I'm more afraid of his heart being broken than mine." Gabriella said.

Taylor silently stared at her for a moment. She understood her concern. "What about the other part?" Taylor asked. "What?" Gabriella asked. "You said Mateo was part of your concern. What's the other?" Taylor asked. Gabriella looked off not wanting to say. "It's Damien. Isn't it?" Taylor asked. Gabriella sighed, "He has never let me have a relationship in peace. He can go off and screw whoever he wants and date whoever, but the moment I try to...he interferes somehow and ruins it."

"So you have to live life according to his rules?" Taylor questioned. "It's not the most ideal way to live but that's how I still keep Mateo." Gabriella replied. Taylor shook her head and looked off. Gabriella looked at her and gently touched her arm. "But that doesn't mean I don't like you." She replied. Taylor looked back at her. "It's been so long since I had someone around that I could trust and rely on. I don't want to let that go, but I don't want him to get in the middle and try to ruin things like he always does." Gabriella explained.

"I won't let him ruin anything." Taylor said. Gabriella faintly smiled, "That's out of our control."She replied. "But at least keeping things this way gives us some form of deniability. He doesn't know." She shrugged. Taylor looked away, hiding the worried and guilty expression in her eyes. "I'm going to check on Mateo. I'll be right back." Gabriella kissed her cheek and left the room. Gabriella was trying to keep them a secret from Damien but Taylor was worried she might have just given him enough to know things weren't just platonic between the two.