15

Gabriella lightly shook Taylor awake. "Huh?" Taylor tiredly mumbled. "I'm leaving. Mateo is getting ready for school don't forget to leave by 6:30." Gabriella softly whispered. Taylor tiredly nodded and continued lazily lying in bed. "I'll see you later." Gabriella whispered and softly kissed her cheek before leaving. Taylor shut her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. She had been staying at Gabriella's house for the past month. Her clothes already took up half the closet space, her things were already in the spare drawers of her dresser, and Taylor's things took over the empty space in the bathroom.

She got up, dressed into her gym wear, and put on one of her oversized hoodies. She made her way downstairs and grabbed her keys. Mateo came downstairs in his school uniform and backpack. "Look at you." Taylor smiled and admired how adorable he looked in his school uniform. "Ready." He smiled. "Let's go." Taylor said as she took him by the hand and led him to the car. He climbed in the middle backseat and buckled himself in. Taylor started up the car and drove.

"Taylor?" Mateo asked. "Yes, kiddo?" Taylor asked glancing at him through the rearview mirror. "Are you going to marry my mom?" He asked. Taylor came to an abrupt stop. "What? Why would you think that?" She nervously asked. "You live with us now." Mateo replied. "I have my own house, Mateo." Taylor said as she continued driving. "But you stay with us." Mateo replied. "That doesn't always mean people are married or have to be." Taylor replied. A smile crept up on Mateo's lips, "You could be."

"Your mom and I are just...friends." Taylor replied. Mateo looked off toward the window for a moment and back at Taylor. "Do you like each other more than friends?" He asked. "How about we talk about school?" Taylor suggested. He frowned at the mention of it and Taylor noticed through the rear view. "Do you not like school?" She asked. "What if the kids don't like me?" he asked. "Why wouldn't they?" Taylor asked. Mateo shrugged. They arrived o the school and Taylor was parked out front. Mateo stared out the window hesitant to get out of the car.

"What's wrong?" Taylor asked. He silently stared and watched the kids walking toward the school. "You have nothing to be scared of kiddo." Taylor reassured. He looked over at her with sad eyes. "Whose son are you?" Taylor asked. He looked at her confused. "Mommy's?" He asked. Taylor nodded, "And who is your mommy?" She asked. "One of the best fighters in the world." He replied. "Exactly. Now you need to be brave just like a fighter." Taylor replied.

He looked off toward the school unsure. "How about we make a little deal. Just us." Taylor said. "What?" He curiously asked. "If you get in there and be brave, I'll take you to my gym and teach you some of my training exercises." Taylor replied. His eyes lit up, "Really?" He asked. Taylor nodded. He took a deep breath and nodded. "Okay." He replied. "Thank you." He said giving her a quick hug and getting out of the car. She softly smiled and watched him make his way into the school before taking off.

----

The sweat dripped down her face as Taylor focused on the pads in front of her. "Strike!" Wes shouted. She threw quick jabs making Wes stumble back. "Holy shit." He said surprised and lowered the pads. "You hit with passion that time." He laughed. Taylor wiped the sweat off her forehead. "Isn't that a good thing?" She asked. "Well yeah but I'm surprised, where did that come from? You're not using steroids are you?" He questioned.

Taylor rolled her eyes and took a sip of water. "You think I'd risk my reputation like that?" She questioned. "Fair point." He replied and took the punching pads off. Taylor looked at the clock. "Is that the correct time?" Taylor asked. Wes looked over at the clock and checked his watch. "No it's been broken the past few days. It's actually 8:30." He replied.

Taylor's eyes widened. Gabriella was home alone and Damien was supposed to be dropping Mateo off at 8. "Fuck." She said as she rushed off and grabbed her things. "Where are you going?" Wes asked. "I have to be somewhere I'm late!" Taylor shouted as she ran out the door.

--
Taylor quickly got out the car and rushed inside without a second thought. She entered the kitchen interrupting what looked like a tense interaction between Gabriella and Damien. Damien saw her and looked back at Gabriella. "Is everything okay?" Taylor asked. Gabriella looked at Damien and back at Taylor. "I'm fine." She faintly smiled.

Damien looked back to Taylor. Taylor slightly glared. Damien looked back to Gabriella. "I'm leaving." He said and walked off giving Taylor one last dirty look in passing. Taylor watched him leave and looked back to Gabriella. "He didn't hurt you did he?" Taylor asked. Gabriella shook her head. "No." She said and crossed her arms. "But he did tell me you went by his office." She glared.

Taylor got quiet. "Why the hell would you do that?!" Gabriella asked. "I was telling him to leave you alone!" Taylor said in defense. "What part of keeping this between us did you not understand? I told you what he does when he suspects anything." Gabriella argued. "I was just trying to help I didn't know he was that fucking psychotic." Taylor replied.

Gabriella sighed and paced back and forth as she held her head. "This is it. He's going to try and ruin everything he's going to get his way." She said to herself in frustration. Taylor approached and stopped her from pacing. "Calm down. Breathe." Taylor said. Gabriella stared up into her blue eyes and found comfort in them. She tried to get her emotions back in control and took a deep breath."It's going to be alright." Taylor reassured.

"How can you say that." Gabriella glared. "Because I'm not going to let him hurt you or get in the way of this. Do you really want to keep living your life scared or do you want to be happy?" Taylor asked. Gabriella stared at her for a moment. "What do you mean?" She asked. "I'm telling you to stop lying about what this is." Taylor replied.

Gabriella looked at her confused. "Half my things are in your house, we share a bed, and we do things you and I both know 'friends' don't do." Taylor said. Gabriella sighed and looked off. "Why would you want to be with me? I'm a single mom. There's so many other women you could choose from, why me?" Gabriella asked. "Because they're not you. I like being with you, and I love Mateo. None of that bothers me." Taylor replied.

Gabriella looked away unsure. Taylor gently touched Gabriella's cheek and turned her face to look at her. "Just say yes. You know you want to." Taylor whispered as she stepped closer and closed the space between them. Gabriella nervously swallowed. Taylor softly brushed her lips against hers, "Say yes." Taylor whispered and continued kissing Gabriella's lips. Gabriella slightly pulled back. She was absolutely terrified. She looked up into Taylor's blue eyes for a moment and sighed. "Yes." Gabriella replied. Taylor smiled and drew her back in for another kiss.