16

Gabriella heard shifting around the room and tiredly opened her eyes to see Taylor getting ready. "What are you doing?" She tiredly asked. "Go back to sleep." Taylor whispered. Gabriella shut her eyes. "By the way I'm taking Mateo with me today." Taylor replied. Gabriella's eyes immediately shot back open and she propped herself up. "What?" She asked.

"I told him if he was brave and did well in school I would take him to watch me train for the day." Taylor replied. Gabriella glared. "What?" Taylor asked. "And you never asked me?" Gabriella asked. "It slipped my mind and I just remembered." Taylor shrugged. Gabriella stared at her in silence. "I promise I'll keep him safe." Taylor replied.

Gabriella sighed and nodded. "Just give me updates please?" Gabriella asked. Taylor nodded and walked over to give her a quick peck on the lips and left the room.

--
Mateo held Taylor's hand and entered the gym. He curiously looked around at all the equipment. "Taylor!" Wes shouted from across the gym and approached. He saw Mateo at her side and smiled with slight confusion. "Who's this little guy?" Wes asked. Mateo shyly hid behind Taylor's leg. She softly smiled and ruffled his curls.

"This is Mateo, a little friend of mine. He wanted to stop in and watch how a fighter trains." Taylor replied. Wes knelt down and looked at Mateo, "You're a fan of the sport?" He asked. Mateo nodded. "Are you gonna help whip this one into shape today?" Wes jokingly asked and pointed to Taylor. Mateo smiled and nodded. "Alright, why don't you come with me and get what we need and I'll show you around the gym."Wes asked.

Mateo looked up at Taylor unsure. Taylor nodded, "It's okay. I'll just be getting ready in the locker room and I'll be back out." Taylor reassured. Mateo nodded and went off with Wes to grab equipment.

--
Mateo sat off to the side and watched Taylor in awe as she hit the punching pads in Wes' hands. He watched the way she dodged every attempt Wes tried to make a swing at her. It felt like watching a real superhero in action. Taylor and Wes stopped to take a break. Mateo picked up her bottle of water and held it out to her.

She took the bottle from his hands and smiled. "Thanks kiddo." She said lovingly ruffling his hair and taking a sip of her water. "That was so cool." Mateo smiled. Taylor looked down at him and smiled. "Want to try?" She asked. "Really?" He asked. Taylor nodded and looked at Wes. "Let's give him a shot." Taylor said. Wes nodded and put the punching pads on.

Taylor centered Mateo and positioned his arms. "You want to get in your stance." She said as she positioned him. "Now remember keep an eye on your opponent and strike. Your opponent is always going to try and be unpredictable when they come at you. You just need to learn to be quicker." Taylor said. She stepped back and watched as Mateo held his hands up.

"Start with some jabs. Show us what you got." Wes said. Mateo nodded and focused on the punching pads. He threw a strong punch and Wes looked surprised. "Not bad." He laughed. Mateo looked to Taylor for approval. Taylor smiled and nodded. "Good job, go again." Taylor said. Mateo nodded and proceeded to throw punches just how he had learned from watching Taylor.

"There you are!" A man shouted from across the gym. Taylor turned and saw Ian approaching she stepped away and walked toward him. "I've been trying to get in contact with you for the past week. I left you messages." Ian said. "I've been busy." Taylor replied. Ian looked from her to Mateo and watched as he threw punches with Wes. "Who's the kid?" Ian asked.

Taylor glanced back at him and back to Ian. "He's a friend's. He wanted to come see how we train." Taylor partly lied. Ian stared at him for a moment and looked back to Taylor. "Well have you found anything to get her to agree to a fight?" Ian asked. "I already told Wes no." Taylor said. "Then what the hell were you doing all this time?" Ian glared.

"I just don't think she's someone I want to fight. We should just drop it." Taylor shrugged. "Are you insane? Do you know how many people have already been giving me calls about how they want this fight to happen? Do you know the amount of sponsors that would bring?" Ian asked. Taylor shrugged. "I just don't think it's worth it. I'm not going to pressure her into doing something she doesn't want to."

"What the hell happened to you? This isn't like you. You're always ready to jump at any opportunity. Are you just going to let her make you look like a joke?" He argued. Taylor stayed silent and looked off. "I have to get back to training." Taylor said as she walked back off to Mateo and Wes. Ian stared at Mateo and Taylor for a while and left the gym.

--

Taylor entered the house with Mateo clinging onto her shoulders laughing. Gabriella heard the sounds of laughter approaching the kitchen. "We're back!" Taylor shouted. Gabriella smiled as Taylor approached and pecked her lips. "Mommy I learned some cool moves today!" Mateo excitedly shouted. Taylor sat him down on the counter and smiled. "He's actually not that bad. I think he might just grow up to be a natural at it." Taylor said.

Gabriella wrapped him in a hug and took him off the counter. "Go wash up." She said. He nodded and went off. Gabriella looked at Taylor and smiled. "Sounds like he had fun." Gabriella said as Taylor wrapped her arms around her waist. "You should've been there." Taylor replied. "Next time. A closed practice maybe." Gabriella said. "I thought those were reserved for the bedroom?" Taylor asked. Gabriella lightly smacked Taylor's arm and pulled away.