Carry On | Robot!Rodney x Human!Reader

Requested?: Yes

Type of Story: Oneshot

Warnings: some angst and mentions of death, soft fluff in the end

Word Count: 732

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They say if you're the only human left in the world, you'd be able to do whatever you want without fear or regret. Well, now they're wrong. 

After a disease wiped out everyone you ever loved except you, since they begged you to spare yourself from getting into contact with them, some years before, you were now the only and loneliest human in the world. It wasn't bad enough to be living in a world full of metallic robots; to make matters worse, the disease had wiped away every last fully-fleshed human in the world before dying out completely a year earlier due to the changes in the atmosphere, so now you're truly the last human. 

In the years since the disease took away your family and friends, you had to survive in the streets with some non-perishable foods you managed to grab for yourself until you had run out of those supplies. However, when hope had seemed like it was lost for good, you had unintentionally stumbled into another part of the world where robots thrived in small towns and tall cities. A few weeks afterward, the Rusties had met you and took you in without hesitation. Despite the fact that they had never seen a live human before, you had filled them in on the details of what had happened to your people and how you ended up here. They had stories about humans before, but they had no idea how much you've gone through. 

Namely Rodney himself. 

He had come here to work in Bigweld Industries when parts were no longer going to be made, courtesy of some asshole by the name of Ratchet. When he first met you, he was astonished to see a live human, but he didn't let you be afraid of him. Instead, he had helped you be more comfortable and adjust to the robot world. The favor was soon returned when you shared your stories of your people, your world, of what life was like before it was stolen away from you by something that was out of your control. At one point, you had broken down when memories of your family were too much to handle, but Rodney had refused to push you further but rather comforted you and held you until you both passed out on the couch. 

As days bled into weeks, then into months, then finally into three years, you found yourself living comfortably in the world of robots. The bots of Robot City and Rodney's hometown had grown to accept you, despite being of different species, and you've grown to accept them back. But you didn't replace your past family and friends. In fact, you've added another set of friends and found a second family, a second chance. 

But on some nights, the nightmares from the terrible times when the disease took away everything you held dear made you second-guess everything. 

"(Y/N)? Everything alright?" Rodney found you one night when the nightmares plagued you again. You both had found a place of your own, with him now the right-hand man of Bigweld himself. 

You sniffled, wiping away the tears from your cheeks. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." 

But Rodney could tell you weren't. He sat down on the couch next to you and took you in his arms. "Those nightmares still haunting you?" 

With a small nod, you leaned into Rodney's gentle, yet cold touch. Whenever you two do cuddle, you have to use pillows since he was not very comfy and made of metal, which he found amusing. 

"Wanna talk about it?" He tenderly asked again. After receiving a shake of your head from you, he didn't push you again, he just kept holding you in his arms. "(Y/N), I'm really sorry..." 

"It isn't your fault," you reassured him, despite your tears still streaming down your face. "There's always something that is beyond your control, and no matter how bad it was...you just got to carry on..."

"Guess you're right," Rodney understood. He kissed your head, with his hand petting your hair. He loved how soft and smooth it was against his metal fingers. "I'm proud of you for keeping going after all the misery. I truly am." 

You hummed in contentment and snuggled closer in his arms. 

Even after all the bad memories of your past, you still carried on. And you'll keep carrying on in years to come...