𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦

"hopefully you aren't too upset by your loss." y/n chuckled, tucking her sword away in its case. "not at all." i laughed. "just surprised. reepicheep was right. you're a very quick leaner."

"well, when you've been skating as long as i have, you tend to pick things up a little quicker than you might expect."

it was near dinner, and y/n was now dressed in a flowing white dress with a f/c ribbon tied at its waist.

i was standing in her doorway, watching as she shuffled to find its case.

i didn't even know how it made me smile the way it did. my eyes shifted to the bag placed on the floor next to her vanity. that was the bag she had when i first found her in that forest.

"you know," i began. y/n looked to me. "you still haven't shown me figure skating yet. that is what its called if i'm not mistaken, yes?"

"that's what it's called, yes." she laughed. she looked at her bag, then back at me. i was worried i had said something wrong until she smiled brightly at me. "i guess it's been a while since i've been on the ice."

"ice?"

"well, yeah. you skate on ice."

"i'm afraid nothing here is frozen over. we are in the middle of spring, after all."

y/n smirked. "then it's a good thing i know how to remedy that."

my head tilted to the side in utter confusion. "what do you mean?"

"you'll see, cas." she laughed.

the nickname she suddenly used made me smile. it wasn't even surprising, seeing as that's all i can do when i'm around her.

y/n swung her bag over she shoulder, startling the sleeping cat in the bed. she went over and scratched his ears as an apology. as response, bambi, i believe was his name, purred, and turned over to complete his midday nap.

y/n walked away from the cat, and got her sword again. "your sword? should i be scared? can you tell me what you're going to do?" i joked.

"nuh uh." she chided playfully.

"what do you mean 'nuh uh?!'" i laughed.

she gave me a playful look before taking my hand in hers and leading me through cair paravel's bustling halls.

she was so carefree, clearly not caring about the prying eyes following us as we ran down the sunlit halls like children. she was smiling and laughing, and it made me want to protect her smile, and her laughter.

it made me feel lovesick in a sense.

at first, i was too distracted by her to realize she had led me to the pond.

i was pulled back into our reality once she let go of my hand.

"can you hold this?" she asked, holding out her bag. i nodded and took it from her, my hand brushing over hers in the process.

she jumped off of a glyph, and landed on another in the middle of the pond.

"what are you doing?" i called to her.

"i figured out how to use one of the vials in the sword's chamber the other night." she called back. she shifted her positioning to hold the sword downwards, pointing to the water under her.

then she struck her sword onto the water.

what amazed me was that a sheet of ice froze over the pond in the mere moments y/n's sword hit the water. and one strong enough to hold y/n on top of it.

she truly is a wonder.

she glided over the ice carefully to get to the grass. i handed her the bag. y/n carefully took out a pair of white shoes with blades on the soles. she took off the flats she was wearing currently, and put them on. it was impressive how fast she laced them up.

once she stood, she only stared at the ice in front of her with longing. i knew that feeling well.

i don't know what exactly came over me, but i put my hands on her shoulders, trying to emit a sense of ease. of comfort, perhaps.

y/n placed one of her hands on top of mine. she turned around and gave me a small smile before taking a deep breath and pushing herself off and gliding onto the pond.

y/n's pov again ♡︎

there wasn't really much i could do, seeing that i was wearing a dress, but i could still do a trick or two. i have to admit, it was weird being back on the ice, but at the same time, it was relaxing.

i didn't even realized i was skating again until i landed the last triple axel.

i released the breath stuck in my throat.

i smiled to myself as i plucked my sword from the ice and glided back to the grass.

it was good to be back.

"you're beautiful."

surprise made me look him in the eyes. then caspian's widened. "ah! i apologize, i didn't realize i said that out loud." he rambled on, and all i did was listen to his adorably panicked voice with a stupid smile on my face.

not even knowing what came over me, i kissed his cheek to get him to be quiet. to my surprise, he stopped talking.

"thank you." was the only thing i said. 'stupid.'

"i mean it." he quietly said after catching his breath, a blush evident on his cheeks.

"you think?"

"i don't think, y/n. i know."

that was the sweetest thing anyone's told me in a long time.

and possibly the most romantic.

i didn't know what to say. all i could do was look.

that was a first.

caspian took a step closer to me, not breaking eye contact as he kneeled down and unlaced my skates.

"i think.. i think i'm falling in love with you." he whispered, just as he pulled the bow knot out of my skates.

i used to believe in love at first sight when i was younger because of all the fairytales and romcoms. but recently, it just seemed ridiculous. now? now i was rethinking all that.

"i.."

but i also went back to what i promised myself. sure, it was a promise broken, but still a promise.

"you don't have to say anything." caspian whispered, standing on his feet. "i know you have other things to worry about."

truth be told, i forgot about all of that. i forgot about all my worries with him.

but he was right.

we stood there, simply staring at each other for what felt like hours. i think he could tell that i was conflicted, but he masked it with a small smile. a slightly sad one, but still, a smile.

i was about say something when an alarm rang.

"what's going on?" i asked caspian. but he looked just as confused as i did.

"i don't know."

i shuffled to put my shoes on. once i did, caspian and i ran back to cair paravel, worried by what may be waiting for us.