Chapter Five

Four weeks after Lee's death. 

It was later than normal for Alex to get home. She had been caught up at the clinic with an outbreak of strep and stayed late to help with prescription fills even though that was out of her lane. Alex made her way up to her room and showered off the day. While she wanted to throw herself into the bed, her stomach growled. 

Finding leftovers on a plate in the fridge in the kitchen, Alex walked outside to sit and eat. When she looked to her right, John was sitting in one of the chairs, an empty whiskey glass in his hand. 

"Evening," John said. 

Alex couldn't turn and leave now, so she sat down in the other chair and placed her drink on the table between them. She let out a low groan as her muscles stretched. 

"Rough day?" John eyed her. 

"Not the greatest," Alex shrugged, twirling her pasta on her fork. "Strep is rampant on the reservation." 

"How has that been?" John asked and when Alex looked over at him continued. "Being back there." 

"Friday is my last day," Alex chewed. "I'll be glad to get back to the hospital." 

"I'm sure they're thankful to have you," John said. 

"They're thankful to have adequate healthcare professionals for once," Alex sighed, leaning back in her seat. "Me...not so much."

"Not a fan of you?" John grunted. 

"Not of fan of what I represent," Alex shrugged. 

"What is it that you represent?" John twirled his glass. 

"Disloyalty," Alex muttered. 

John slowly nodded his head in understanding.  

"You're a lot of things, Alex," John looked at her. "But you're not disloyal." 

"That's because I chose this place," Alex looked at her food. 

They both sat there in silence for a few seconds. 

"I uh...got Lee's death certificate today," John cleared his throat. 

Alex paused her chewing and looked over at him. 

"I didn't know if you needed a copy of it?" John looked at her. 

"I don't know, do I?" Alex asked, swallowing hard. 

"I think because you weren't married that you wouldn't," John sighed. "But I'll get you one just in case...if for some reason." 

"Okay," Alex looked at her plate, only two bites taken, and sat it on the table, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. 

They both sat in silence for a few minutes. 

"John if I need to leave..." Alex trailed off.

"Nonsense," John shook his head. "That's not why I bring him up to you." 

Alex nodded her head. 

"I bring him up because..." John looked out into the darkness and let out a laugh, not filled with humor though. "Because I've got no one else to talk about him with." 

"What is there to talk about?" Alex asked gently. 

"Anything," John stood up. "Just cause he's gone doesn't mean he never existed. Hell...you were supposed to marry him in a few weeks and-"

"Today," Alex interrupted him and John grew quiet. 

"What?" John asked her. 

"I was supposed to marry Lee today," Alex rubbed her lips together, feeling a pain seep into her chest.