Chapter Nineteen

Eighteen weeks after Lee's death.

It had been a long week for Alex. She had to drive to Billings for two days of training. It was cold, icy winds blowing in the east part of the state, and she left her large coat back at the ranch. So, she had to buy a new one.

Now, she was pulling up next to the main lodge, tired and in desperate need of her bed. Grabbing her bag she made her way inside, hating that she had missed supper but hopeful there would be leftovers somewhere. She dropped her bag and boots off in her room before she walked back downstairs to investigate. It was quiet in the house, almost eleven at night would do that. The fire was smaller now in the living room as Alex passed it. Walking up to the fridge she opened the door and squinted in the bright light. There were a few things she could make a steak sandwich out of. It was something at least.

As she placed the top piece of bread over the filling, a shadow cast itself over the kitchen island. Alex looked up at saw Kayce standing there in a black shirt and plain pajama bottoms. He looked tired like he either was about to fall asleep or had been woken up.

"Hey," Alex whispered, placing her knife down after she cut her sandwich in half.

"When d'you get back?" Kayce walked over, rubbing his eyes.

"Just a little bit ago," Alex kept her voice low. "Thought everyone was asleep."

"Almost," Kayce leaned in as Alex rose on her toes to share a slow kiss. "How was Billings?"

"Cold," Alex frowned.

"The whole state is cold," Kayce smiled at her.

"It was fine...long and boring, but it's done now," Alex took a bite of her sandwich. "Just glad there were leftovers."

"Yeah?" Kayce reached out and rubbed Alex's back as she nodded. "Glad you're home."

"I know," She smiled. "Usually, it's you off galloping across the state."

"Yeah, I don't really like waiting on you," Kayce leaned against the counter as Alex ate.

"Get back to me, I've got a few good weeks on you," Alex giggled with her mouth full. "Where were you sleeping? I didn't see you in my room?"

"In the room, I've been in," Kayce nodded.

"Oh," Alex thought it funny. "How was your day?"

"I got to see Tate briefly," Kayce smiled.

"Oh yeah?" Alex mimicked his grin. "How was he?"

"Good," Kayce nodded. "He's excited to come stay with us for Thanksgiving this week."

"Oh God," Alex looked shocked. "I totally forgot it was Thanksgiving!"

"We've all been busy," Kayce tilted his head. "Still feel like celebrating with us?"

"Of course," Alex nodded. "Why?"

"Uh...well, I didn't know given your family's heritage and all," Kayce shrugged.

Alex gave him a look.

"Just trying to be respectful here," Kayce smirked.

"Half of my family," Alex pointed out. "But the thought of a good meal with you and Tate far outweighs my thoughts on colonialism, reservations, and all those conversations."

"What happened to my rebel?" Kayce smirked.

"She's still in here," Alex finished her sandwich. "She's just...picking her fights better now."

"Come to bed," Kayce yawned. "I wanna hold you."

"Give me a minute," Alex quickly cleaned up her mess around the kitchen while Kayce waited at the doorway.