Chapter Sixteen

Fifteen weeks after Lee's death.

"Alex!" Tate called out, running up to where she had just gotten out of her car.

Tate had finally gotten to come be with them for a day and Alex found herself really taking to the little boy. He was wild, and had a temper, but was clever and fun to have around. He brought life back into this place, something Alex hadn't seen for a long time.

Last week, when Kayce tried to pick up Tate, Monica got into a verbal fight with Kayce. It led to Tate staying with her another week. This time, John went with Kayce early this morning and picked Tate up. Alex had actually passed them on the road into the ranch when she was leaving.

"Hey," Alex smiled. "How was your day?"

"Good," Tate nodded. "How was yours?"

The pair started to walk into the main lodge. Alex held the door open for Tate to go in first, shutting it behind her and taking off her coat.

"Long," Alex smiled. "But good."

"What did you do?" Tate asked, curiosity being full-blown in the kid.

"Well," Alex hung her coat up. "I had to take some things I bought back because they didn't fit me anymore...I then ran by the hospital and did some paperwork...and then I went by Parker Elementary."

"Why'd you go there?" Tate followed Alex into the living room.

"Because I applied for a job there," Alex smiled at Tate.

"Are you gonna be a teacher?" Tate asked as John and Kayce walked into the room.

"Teacher?" Kayce looked at Alex.

Alex laughed.

"No, Tate," She sat down on one of the couches. "But I could be the school nurse."

"You applied to be a school nurse?" John asked as he went over to pour a few drinks for them. "They pay worse than the hospital."

"But they might let me actually work," Alex sighed.

"You know, there's a place that will let you start tomorrow," John walked over and held out a glass to Alex.

Alex looked up at John for a few seconds before grabbing the glass from him. Kayce sat down next to Alex but kept a decent distance.

"Would there even be enough here for me to do?" Alex asked John, glancing at Kayce.

"There are forty people here at any given time," John poured two more drinks and walked back over, handing one to Kayce. "I'm sure there would be plenty for you to do here."

Alex sighed, looking down at her drink.

"I'd work here," Tate told her with a smile.

"You would?" Alex asked.

"I'd live here every day if I could!" Tate nodded, sitting down right next to Alex.

Alex smiled at Tate, leaning back against the couch and bringing her whisket up to her lips. She felt Kayce place his arm on the back of the couch. It looked innocent, but the feeling of his fingers brushing against her hair made Alex look over at Kayce.

"Think about it," John said, clearing his throat. "I pay a hell of a lot more than a school."

"What's for supper?" Tate asked Kayce.

"Gator's off for the night," John answered. "Tate...let's go down and see what the wranglers are making?"

John stood up as Tate hopped off the couch.