Chapter Twenty-Six

Twenty-five weeks after Lee's death.

Alex sat at the smaller table in the living room. She was helping Tate with the Lego set she had given him for Christmas. They were about halfway through it now and the African Safari set was slowly starting to come to life. She watched Tate carefully place one of the tents up on the tan Lego 'floor' of the desert.

"Not bad," Alex said with a smile.

"You wanna do the Jeep next?" Tate asked.

"How about you start, and I'll go get us something to drink?" Alex stood up.

She smiled as Tate flipped the pages over to where the Jeep started before walking into the kitchen. She started the hot chocolate in a saucepan over the stove. A few minutes later the backdoor opened up. Kayce walked inside, brushing snow off his shoulder.

"Hey," Alex said over her shoulder.

"Hi," Kayce pulled his coat off. "It's coming down out there."

"You could have stayed in with us," Alex said, stirring the drink mix in. "We're all nice and toasty."

Kayce wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed the side of her neck. His nose was cold though, making Alex shiver in his arms. It was then though, she felt the tension in his arms, in his chest, and down his body. His breathing wasn't regular and it wasn't from the weather.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked quietly, even though Tate was in the other room.

"Monica is coming here to get Tate," Kayce sighed.

"Thought you were taking him back this evening?" Alex turned in his arms now.

"She called me while I was walking back here," Kayce said. "She's already in her way."

"It's snowing," Alex looked out. Like, honestly I thought it'd play in our favor and Tate could stay another night while the storm rolled on?"

"So did I," Kayce nodded.

"How much longer until-"

There was a knock at the front door. Alex frowned as Kayce stepped away from her, walking out of the kitchen. Alex looked at the stove before turning it off, the hot chocolate long forgotten now.

Alex heard Tate call out to his mom and figured the little boy had run up to her. She pushed tears down from coming up into the corners of her eyes. The back door opened again and this time John walked in, removing his hat and looking over at Alex. She knew her face must look back before John's expression turned into one of worry.

"Monica's here," Alex whispered and grabbed the pan, setting it in the sink.

"Hey, Grandpa!"

Tate had walked into the kitchen with Kayce and Monica following him. Alex felt her throat shrink as she made eye contact with Monica.

"Didn't know you were coming, Monica," John said, his tone even.

"Thought I'd be helpful with this one," Monica ran her hand down Tate's back. "But the snow is really coming down...we need to go now, buddy if we want to be safe."

"I ain't packed yet," Tate looked up at her.

"Oh," Monica looked at Kayce. "Well, I'm sure we'll be okay... let's get your stuff as quickly as we can."

"If it's too bad," Kayce's eyes glanced to Alex who quickly looked away from Kayce. "There's plenty of space...if you'd like to...stay?"

"I wouldn't want to be a burden," Monica told him.