Chapter Thirteen

Twelve weeks after Lee's death.

The red X stared back at Alex as she looked at her phone. Her therapy session did not go well yesterday. They got about fifteen minutes into it and Alex left, feeling as if she was being suffocated. So while it's no surprise the X is still there, Alex still wasn't happy about it.

Just made her feel like a failure. 

"Hey," Kayce knocked on her bedroom door making Alex look up.

"Hi," Alex blinked at him.

"I'm uh...going into town," Kayce leaned against the door frame. "Do you need anything while I'm there?"

"My job back?" Alex asked sarcastically.

"They still won't clear you?" Kayce didn't look surprised though.

"My session didn't go well yesterday," Alex stood up from her bed. "Not that I thought it would."

"Why didn't it go well?" Kayce asked.

"Contrary to popular belief, I have some issues in my past that apparently make me sad," Alex shrugged. "Can't imagine why."

"See that dark humor still comes through though," Kayce smirked.

"Yeah...the doctor didn't like that either about me," Alex giggled. "Do you mind if I come with you? Kind of want to get out of the house for a while."

"Not at all," Kayce nodded his head. "I gotta run to the feed store and then Tate needs a new winter coat."

"Yeah, his old one is well...old," Alex walked out past Kayce.

The two of them walked down and out to Kayce's truck. Climbing in, he blasted the heater over Alex as she settled back in his seat. Kayce pulled the truck out of its parking spot and down the dirt road. When he got to the entrance to the ranch he came to a full stop and put the truck in park, taking off his seat belt.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked him worried.

"C'mere," Kayce leaned over the console, his hand reaching out and pulling Alex closer to him by her arm.

She caught on in time to tilt her head and kiss Kayce's wanting lips. They were warm, and after the past week of tiptoeing around him and Monica, it felt nice to be shown some affection. Kayce's hand cupped her cheek as he deepened the kiss. Alex could have been wrong, but he was certainly kissing her like he had missed her. 

"Not sorry," Kayce's lips brushed against Alex's. "Just haven't done this in a while." 

Alex reached out and held onto Kayce's jacket, pulling him closer to her as her tongue slipped over his bottom lip. Kayce's fingers moved to tangle in Alex's hair, tugging softly. A low moan passed her lips as Kayce swallowed the sound of her moans with his kiss.

Alex reached down and undid her own seatbelt, giving her access to lean up more. Her hands held Kayce's neck as she bit down on his lip, tugging slightly. Kayce's hands moved down to hold her hips, pushing Alex to raise up slightly. He clicked a switch and the console between them was flipped up.

Alex seemed to be on autopilot and quickly moved closer, straddling Kayce's lap on the driver's side. Kayce's hands roamed over her back and sides as his lips sucked gently on Alex's neck. She pressed her hips against Kayce's, moving back and forth. His fingers gripped her hips tightly, a growl from the back of his throat making Alex's mind even more hazy.

"Kayce," Alex whispered out, her fingers tugging on his hair.

His lips found her again, kissing her soundly. Both his hands moved to squeeze her ass as Alex circled her hips over Kayce's.