Chapter Eleven

Ten weeks after Lee's death.

Alex heard the screams as she was pulling her hair into a ponytail that morning. It was like clockwork, every day Tate would wake up from nightmare after nightmare.

Tomorrow would be a week since they have been rescued. A week of everyone in the house hearing Tate wake up from screams. Alex sighed, looking at her reflection in the mirror. She had avoided Kayce as best she could. When there were no other options, she'd make an excuse to walk away from him as quickly as she could.

Alex figured Kayce needed to be with his family right now. Tate needed him and that meant Monica also needed him. Whether they were still divorcing or not, Alex couldn't stomach to think about it for long. But every time she would come across Monica in the hallway or near a meal time, they would stare at each other and then walk around. It was awful, plain and simple.

Alex had been benched from work too. Mandated by her boss, she needed to complete a psych evaluation and Alex had yet to visit with the psychiatrist at the local clinic. To talk about this, would only lead to talking about every messed up thing in Alex's life and she didn't feel like she was ready for that.

Alex walked back into her bedroom and slipped on her boots. She needed some fresh air, some time away from the house. And while she wasn't allowed in town by herself yet, John had kept an iron grip on this place, she knew one means of transportation she could use. Last night she had asked Lloyd if he would go riding with her this morning and he told her to meet him at eight, after their first round of chores.

The sun was bright as Alex walked down to the barns. The crisp air felt good on her skin, almost like a wake-up call. She could see two horses saddled by the far fence and figured that was her ride. But when she got closer, it wasn't Lloyd who walked around the horses to meet her, it was Kayce.

"Morning," Kayce mumbled.

"Morning..." Alex slowed down her walking. "Uh...Lloyd was gonna ride with me, I wasn't going by myself."

"I know,' Kayce nodded. "Thought I could go with you though instead?"

"What about Tate?" Alex asked.

"He's with his mom," Kayce's eyes glanced back to the house.

"Don't you need to be with them?" Alex stuffed her hands in her coat pocket.

Kayce's eyes softened, glancing up and down Alex as she stood in front of him.

"Can I just..." He trailed off, almost like he was biting his tongue from what he wanted to say. "Do you mind if I come with you?"

Of course, Alex minded.

"No," She shook her head.

Alex walked up to the horse Kayce had its reigns in his grip. She stopped though, after reaching up to hold onto the saddle. Her muscles were still sore, particularly her legs. Kayce placed his hand on her lower back, making Alex turn and look at him.

"I've got you," Kayce mumbled as he looped the reigns around the horn and gently held Alex's waist.

With his added weight in the push, Alex was able to swing her leg over. She only winced once and Kayce placed his hand on her thigh gently.

"Easy," He said. "You sure you're up for this?"

"M'fine," Alex mumbled, leaning up in her seat.

"No shame in wanting to take things easy," Kayce looked up at her now.

"I have to get out of that house," Alex said down to him. "I can't...be in there for another day or else I'm seriously gonna lose it."

"Why do you think I'm asking to come with you?" Kayce walked around to his horse and swiftly got up in the saddle.