Chapter Fifteen

Fourteen weeks after Lee's death.

Kayce had Alex pressed up against the barn wall, in the last stall off to the right. It was secluded enough, that no one knew they had snuck back there. It was also warm enough, that they could stay back there a while without the dropping temperatures impacting them too much.

Kayce's hands squeezed Alex's hips, his lips marking her neck, right under her ear. Alex moaned softly, her fingers tangled in Kayce's hair. She had needed to use a little more concealer this past week because of Kayce.

The 'want' from Kayce was something new to Alex. Not only had no one been so physical with her before, but Kayce had never acted like this with her before. Alex had even seen Kayce drunk, but he was silly and smiled a bunch. This...desire was something Alex had yet to get used to.

The day had consisted of an all-men on-deck approach to herding up the cattle in the final pasture for the month. Thanksgiving was two weeks away and it had to be finished by this coming Monday. Even Alex had been up on a horse, helping direct the wranglers who were down in the valley by radio on which direction to push the herd.

Her eyes had barely left Kayce though. Watching him work atop his horse, was like a dance. Alex was transfixed with how good Kayce was. His golden eyes had been bright all morning with her, laughing and seeming like he was younger again.

He didn't hide the way his eyes trailed up and down her legs as she rode her horse next to his. He didn't hide the smirk when their eyes would lock. Kayce did hide his opinion when he told her she looked pretty when she walked up to the barn earlier with everyone else. It made Alex's insides buzz. Her saddle was slightly too rough between her legs with the thoughts swirling in her mind.

The whole job took about eight hours. Now it was supper time and Alex knew they were gonna be late if they didn't head up to the main lodge. But Kayce's lips were back on hers now, and suddenly supper was far from her mind.

Kayce's fingers tips now traveled down her ass, dipping into the back pockets of her jeans. He pressed his front into hers and Alex sighed against his lips. Her fingers gripped Kayce's jacket as she tried to pull him even closer to her, not getting enough.

"Kayce!" Rip's voice called out.

Alex and Kayce froze, their lips still touching as their eyes met. Both were quiet as they listened, not hearing footsteps or anything.

"Your Dad's looking for ya," Rip called back out. "Kayce?"

"Yeah," Kayce yelled back, twisting his head slightly around. "Got it."

It was then they heard footsteps, but they were moving away from the back of the barn. Kayce turned back to look down at Alex. He reached up with one hand and smoothed back some of Alex's hair. Her fingers fanned out over his chest, smoothing the wrinkles they had made mere seconds earlier.

Kayce leaned in slowly, placing a soft kiss against Alex's lips. It was a stark contrast to the ones they had just been sharing. His lips then moved to her temple, placing another kiss as he wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her close to him. One of Alex's hands moved to hold the back of Kayce's neck as she nuzzled into his chest. 

"You hungry?" Kayce whispered.

"Mhmm," Alex nodded her head before leaning back to look up at him. "You?"

"I want you," Kayce said without hesitation.

It made Alex's heart pound in her chest, she was sure Kayce could feel it. Slowly, she took a deep breath and smiled.

"Let's go eat," She patted his chest.

Kayce didn't fight her stepped out of his arms and walked around him. He turned with her, an eyebrow raised.