Chapter Twelve

Eleven weeks after Lee's death.

Alex could see the red X next to her psych evaluation on her phone. She signed, angry that she still wasn't cleared even though she had told her boss she was fine to come back. She had finally made an appointment though for next week.

A truck pulled up next to the main house. Alex was sitting, bundled in one of Beth's large coats on the front porch. Two Livestock Agents stepped out, one nodding his head toward Alex.

"Howdy," He told her.

"Can I help you?" Alex asked, standing.

"We're looking for our boss?" The guy smiled. "You seen Dutton around here?"

"Throw a rock and you're bound to hit one of 'em," Alex smirked.

"Sorry," The guy glanced at his partner. "We're looking for Kayce Dutton."

"I know which one is Livestock Commissioner," Alex nodded. "Let me get him for you."

She walked back inside the lodge, glancing in the living room while she made her way up the stairs. She walked down the hallway, hearing voices raised as she did. She almost got to Kayce's door when the room where Monica and Tate had been staying opened up, Monica walking out in a huff.

"What now?" She snapped at Alex.

"Excuse me?" Alex glared at Monica, seeing Kayce come out from behind her.

"Monica," Kayce said in a warning tone.

Monica gave Alex an icy glare before walking down the hallway in the other direction. Kayce stepped up to Alex.

"Sorry about that," Kayce sighed.

"What happened?" Alex asked.

"I brought up her possibly going back to the reservation and she didn't take too kindly to that," Kayce frowned.

"And seeing me when she walked out probably wasn't the best thing," Alex looked up at Kayce. "You've got two agents out front looking for you."

"Probably wondering where I've been," Kayce put his hat on that had been in his hand.

It was then Alex noticed Kayce dressed like he was headed out for work.

"Where are you going?" She asked him as they both walked back down the stairs.

"Why?" Kayce smiled at her. "Worried you'll miss me?"

"What?" Alex felt herself go red.

"Need to check on a call-out near Emigrant," Kayce told her, grabbing his jacket by the front door.

"What happened?" Alex asked.

"Uh..." Kayce looked at her. "Boyd Nelson killed himself and for some reason, I need to be in on it."

"Shit," Alex frowned. "Did you know him?"

"No," Kayce shook her head, fixing the collar of his jacket.

"Well...be careful," Alex told him and Kayce's frown turned into another small smile.

His eyes were softer looking now, almost glazed over as he looked at Alex.

"What?" She asked.

Kayce glanced up the stairs and then behind Alex. He then reached out and pulled her closer to him by her belt loop. Alex giggled, right before their lips met in a warm kiss. Her fingers danced across the scruff of his beard as Kayce kissed her again.

"Morning," Kayce mumbled against her lips.

"Morning," Alex sighed as Kayce pulled back up.

Their kisses had become more frequent this past week. Always alone, secluded from anyone and everyone but each one warmed Alex one degree hotter and she'd been an ice queen for a while now. No one knew, and it was exactly how Alex wanted it because she didn't even know what it was, let alone want anyone else in on it.