Chapter Twenty-Seven

Twenty - six weeks after Lee's death.

Alex woke up to feeling lips press soft kisses down, along her spine. A smile graced her lips as she took in a deep breath, slowly rolling over and seeing Kayce look up at her with a smirk on his face. The sheets were tangled all around him. Alex was sure her hair was a mess just like Kayce's. He moved his lips to press against the soft skin of her stomach and then he moved up, pressing his lips where he could find open skin. When Kayce got to Alex's neck, he peppered kisses all the way up, until he pressed his lips down on hers in a proper morning kiss.

"Morin'," Kayce's low voice made every limb tingle as Alex snaked her arms around him.

"Good morning," Alex said as Kayce kissed her cheek.

"How'd you sleep?" Kayce asked.

"Not long, but good," Alex laughed. "You?"

"Had some good dreams," Kayce mumbled, running his nose along hers.

"You gotta work today?" Alex asked him with a yawn.

"It's Thursday, baby," Kayce chuckled. "Yeah...I gotta go into the office."

"Fine," Alex sighed, dropping her hands from around him. "Guess I'll stay in this bed by myself."

"Don't tempt me," Kayce leaned down and gently bit her neck, making Alex laugh.

Kayce pulled back and stretched from his spot in the bed. Alex watched him get up and slowly walk into the bathroom. A minute later she heard the shower turn on. She decided to go downstairs and make some coffee for her and Kayce. Pulling on some clothes, Alex padded her feet across the kitchen tile to the coffee machine. She waited as it brewed and glanced out the window. It was one of those strange, warmer days where the sun was out, but snow was on the ground. One where the temps were cooler, but wearing a heavy jacket would fry someone out.

"Morning."

Alex looked over her shoulder to see John walk in.

"Good morning," Alex nodded. "Coffee is almost ready."

"I've had a few cups already," John sighed. "But thank you."

"Working today?" Alex asked.

"Yeah," John nodded. "Kayce up?"

"Shower," Alex said.

"You seem to be in a better mood this week," John mentioned.

Alex looked at him.

"Some weeks are better than others," Alex said.

"Does she do something to you?" John asked.

Alex didn't reply, almost confused by his question.

"Monica," John said. "Does she do something to you?"

"What do you mean?" Alex asked.

"I know that's who makes you..." John waved his hand as if he couldn't put into words what he wanted to say.

"She's challenging," Alex nodded, pulling two mugs down from the cabinet.

"Alex," John said.

Alex sighed, pulling the pot out and filling the two mugs up before looking over at John.

"She hates me," Alex said. "And now the feeling is mutual. She doesn't want me here, let alone close to Tate. She views me as the help around here and... I've just been having a hard time adjusting to it."

"What does Kayce say?" John asked.

"When I get to the point where I throw a fit, he'll finally budge," Alex picked up both mugs. "But it's only so much. He's..."