Chapter Twenty-Four

Twenty-three weeks after Lee's death.

It was a week out from Christmas, and everyone in Montana seemed to have waited until now to head into town. Alex maneuvered her truck into a spot, finally finding one at the feed store. She looked at the license plate of the car in front of her and saw it was from Pennsylvania. Sighing, she turned off the truck and got out.

Walking around the mounds of snow, Alex finally grabbed a cart and made her way to the right. She needed to pick up a few things before everyone at the ranch hunkered down for the next two weeks to avoid the crowds and tourists. Her old work gloves had finally given out, so while she looked at her options, Alex heard someone say excuse me.

It was Monica.

"Monica?" Alex said softly.

"Alex," Monica stopped her cart next to Alex's.

There were blankets in Monica's cart and a new broom.

"Trying to beat the crowds?" Monica asked, her voice laced with awkwardness.

"Trying," Alex nodded. "You?"

"Same," Monica looked up and down the aisle. "Well...I guess I'll see you next week?"

"What?" Alex turned more and faced Monica.

"When I drop Tate off," Monica looked as if she was confused as to why Alex didn't know what she was talking about. "For Christmas?"

"Oh," Alex cleared her throat. "I um...didn't know the plans yet."

"They were decided earlier this morning," Monica sighed.

Alex waited painfully for Monica to elaborate but she saw a look in the other woman's eyes. Alex frowned.

"What are the plans for that, Monica?" Alex asked slowly.

"Ask Kayce," Monica shrugged and pushed her cart forward.

Alex narrowed her eyes.

"I live there too," Alex said and Monica stopped walking away. "You could just tell me because I also am part of this now."

Monica looked over her shoulder at Alex.

"Why would you feel that you were part of anything to do with me or my son?" Monica asked.

Alex felt an anger rise in her throat. Monica looked on, challenging Alex to respond.

"Because I live on the ranch, Monica," Alex said. "I'm a part of Kayce's life...which means I'm part of Tate's life and by association, yours."

Monica raised her eyebrow at Alex.

"Whether you like it or not," Alex continued.

Monica turned her body around and faced Alex.

"You may have screwed your way into my ex-husband's life, but that's not how you become part of my son's," Monica said quietly. "I have that right to choose...and you've done nothing to prove you're a good influence on my son."

"Excuse me?" Alex asked.

"For starters...six months ago you were engaged to his uncle," Monica pointed out and it felt like a slap to Alex. "Don't get me started on your own history with our people. You think you're the best person to have around my son?"

"Fuck you," Alex snapped, and for once, Monica looked surprised.

Alex grabbed a pair of gloves she had been looking at and tossed them into her cart. Her eyes looked back at Monica as she gripped the cart.