Chapter Twenty-Five

Twenty-four weeks after Lee's death.

"Hold still," Kayce told Alex from behind.

"Would you hurry up?" Alex was annoyed.

"It'd go faster if you weren't jerking around," Kayce teased.

"I'm nervous," Alex snapped. "Don't be mean."

"I ain't the one kicking me," Kayce laughed. "Almost got it."

"Kayce!" Alex sighed.

"There," Kayce stepped back, his hands dropping from the back of Alex's neck.

"Thank you," Alex looked in the mirror.

She needed help with the clasp on her necklace and Kayce's fingers weren't nimble like hers. But he got it done, finally.

"You look pretty," Kayce told her.

"Never been to a Christmas Eve service," Alex looked at him. "Can't even remember the last time I was in a church."

"Been a while for all of us," Kayce nodded.

"What time is it?" Alex glanced at the clock.

"He'll be here," Kayce smiled.

"I know," Alex shrugged and walked over to the bed.

She sat down and pulled her black boots on, her long skirt covering the tops of them when she stood back up. Kayce leaned against the tall dresser and eyed her up and down. Alex smoothed her skirt out, even though there wasn't a wrinkle on it.

"What?" She asked Kayce.

"You're cute when you're nervous," Kayce smirked.

"You're an ass," Alex rolled her eyes and went to walk out of the bedroom.

Kayce reached out and grabbed her arm, pulling her back into his chest. Alex looked up at him while he cupped her cheeks with his palms.

"Breathe," Kayce whispered.

"I am breathing," Alex pushed him, but it wasn't hard enough to do anything. "You breathe."

"I am," Kayce laughed, pressing his lips to Alex's for a short kiss.

"What is the reason we're going to church?" Alex asked.

"Dad said he wanted to," Kayce shrugged, his hands moving into his pockets. "Figured we could indulge him."

Alex's eyes looked over Kayce's clothes. He was in a dark green button-down with dark jeans and boots. He looked good. Alex had on a red blouse tucked into her long skirt with her hair down and brushed out smoothly.

The front door opened and shut quickly, meaning only one thing.

"DAD!" Tate hollered, and Alex could hear him running up the stairs.

"Incoming," Kayce smirked at her.

Alex smiled as she looked over to see Tate pause at the door and catch them both.

"Hey, buddy," Kayce smiled while Tate ran straight for his father.

Alex stepped back at Tate and hugged Kayce tight. Kayce used one of his arms to hold Tate while he lifted him slightly.

"Merry Christmas," Tate said as Kayce put him down.

"Merry Christmas," Kayce's eyes danced to Alex, and Tate turned.

"Merry Christmas, Alex," Tate said, hugging her around her middle.

"I'm so glad you're here," Alex squeezed Tate. "Your dad won't make cookies with me, and I was hoping you and I could after church?"