Chapter Seven

Six weeks after Lee's death.

Alex let the warm water fall all over her in the shower. She had woken up about ten minutes ago from an extremely inappropriate dream. Kayce had been in places he shouldn't have been with Alex and she woke up with bright pink cheeks and unable to catch her breath. So she figured the shower would be the best way to wash away all those thoughts.

"What are you doing?" Alex whispered to herself as she tilted her head down.

Later on, she got out, dried off, and changed into some clean clothes. It was her day off, the hospital forcing her to take some time off since she'd been working every single day for the past few weeks.

Alex walked into the kitchen, later in the morning in search of some coffee. Waiting for the pot to brew, she leaned against the counter and looked out the window toward the barn. It was alive with horses all over, Travis back to see if John wanted to put more money into the breeding world.

"You're still here?" Beth asked.

Alex looked over her shoulder.

"Coffee?" Alex smiled.

"Whiskey?" Beth held up the bottle.

"I'm good for now," Alex turned around and grabbed two mugs down from the cabinet.

Beth walked over and sat on one of the bar stools while Alex passed her one of the mugs. Alex then leaned her hip against the island and sipped her own coffee.

"Saw my nephew was back to coming around here more," Beth stirred her whiskey into the darker liquid.

Alex just hummed, keeping her eyes downcast.

"Saw him the other day and he asked where you were," Beth sat her spoon down.

"Me?" Alex looked up at her.

"Seems like you can charm all the Dutton men," Beth smirked.

"That's not funny, Beth," Alex rolled her eyes.

"What's wrong with you?" Beth asked her.

"Nothing...just didn't sleep well," Alex shrugged.

"What's wrong Lex?" Beth pushed.

"It ain't moral," Alex told her.

"You forget who you're talking to?" Beth winked at her.

Alex sat her mug down on the island. She took a deep breath and looked back over at Beth who was waiting patiently for her to answer the question.

"I..." Alex ran both her hands through her hair. "Your brother is confusing me."

"Yes, Jamie is gay," Beth gave her a fake serious look.

"Your other brother," Alex frowned.

"Oh, that one...he tends to be good at that," Beth nodded, taking a sip of her coffee.

"He's just...I don't know what he wants," Alex sighed. "But I don't think he knows what it is that he wants either."

"Oh, I think he knows what he wants," Beth smirked. "I just don't think he knows how to get it."

"What is it that he wants?" Alex asked her.

"Alex...come on," Beth gave her a look.

"What?" Alex shrugged. "If you know what it is then just tell me."

"He wants you, Alex," Beth said.

"Me?" Alex hiccupped. "He doesn't want-"

"Don't do that," Beth snapped. "Don't be that stupid girl who's oblivious and can't think straight with her own fucking mind."