16

I pull away from Sal as my tears turn to sobs. I have never cried like this to anyone but myself. The crying eats at me, in front of this boy, the one I realize now I've been in love with for so long.
Sal holds my soaking face in his palms, I see the worry in his eyes through his mask. His hands welcome my tears as he brushes his fingers up and down my cheek. He says nothing at first which hurts like hell. Maybe he doesn't know how to comfort me, it makes sense. As I clutch his hands, I do my best to calm down, this is humiliating. Our fingers lock together and all I want to do is hold him closer. Without his mask, to see him. I want his face, warm and broken to fix mine.
The silence as I cough and choke pull me away from my father, from when I tried to jump off the roof to end all of the feelings I had felt. From when Kenneth found me, lying on the ground, twitching but alive.
This moment, wrapped in the arms of my only friend, I realize I love him. This whole time, I was always a sinner, a traitor to god. Though, right now, it doesn't feel like it matters.
"Sal?" I ask through muffled weeps. "Why are you helping me?"
I look up at his face, the same as before, despite a tragic accident, it's still beautiful.
We lock eyes as he thinks for a moment, allowing me to sit upright, embarrassed and snotty.
"It started with the umbrella, but I think it's more now." He says, his head turned away from me.
"What do you mean?"
"I-" He pauses.
"I don't want to make things weird." He finished.
"Wait, what do you mean?"
"No, no, nevermind. This is about you."
"Well now you've got me curious." We both laugh a bit.
Before I notice what i'm doing I place my hand on his his. I just tried to get his attention, but, when he turns to face me his eyes are wide and his face is red. I pull my hand away in a moment of realization. Leaving the air heavy and awkward.
"Let's get you out of here, before my dad finds us." I say pulling my aching legs off the concrete.
Sal and I creep up the way he came, cautious at every step. When we do get to the top of the stairs we hear my fathers loud gurgling snores. Sal, carrying his prosthetic in one hand and my hand in the other, we share a glance and giggle.
"Will your dad know you aren't down there anymore?" Sal whispers.
"He gets so drunk he won't remember." I reply pushing open the door to my bedroom.
I begin to close the door, turning the mob as I push it so no noise escapes. When I do turn around Sal is on the floor across from my mattress.

SALLYFACE POV
Travis' floor is carpeted, but old, and smells like it hasn't been washed. As he closes the door I can't help but think about the basement. I would have ruined everything. Even if I do have a crush on him, I need to make sure nothing happens. I can't be thinking like this. Now, sitting in this barren house I can get closer to him. Understand him more, I want to be his friend before my feelings can get in the way.
"So I know you like art, but, what else are you into?" I say, as he sits down on the mattress, in front of me.
He pulls his wrist around his knees, like a ball. There spread across, tied in a poor knot is the bracelet I left in his bag. I had forgotten about it until now. Deeper in his dark skin, little scars mark his wrist. I wouldn't think he would cut himself. That's a stupid thing to think, you can't make that judgment. I want to ask his story, I want him to feel safe with me. Like downstairs, cradled in my arms.
"I like to read a lot." He almost mumbles.
"Really? That's awesome!" I reply, still hushed.
"I don't own any though, unfortunately. I can only have biblical material inside."
"I have a full bookcase in my room that I haven't touched in years, sometime you could come over and take as many as you want?"
His brown eyes almost light up when I say that.
"Can I come over tomorrow?" He finally uttered.
"You can come over whenever you want!"
Here in his room, it feels so lonely. It doesn't feel like anything could be alive here. Not even ghosts.
Right now, here with Travis, I think he feels otherwise

~~~