wrappers

(in this story they have more modern phones than in the game)

What feels like hours pass by as me and Travis converse. We share stories and laughs. I learned that his favorite color is blue, his favorite food is the cafeteria sushi, and he really likes cats. By nightfall his father is still asleep downstairs, grumbling and groaning while moving around on the couch. Every time he adjusts out conversations come to a pause as we listen for further movements, though they never come.
The moonlight seeps through his window and the room darkens by the minute. I pull out my phone to use the flashlight as Travis stops talking. Once the brightness erupts from my phone I see Travis, clutching his stomach as a loud grumble comes from beneath his skin.
"Woah, dude. Are you okay?" I ask pushing myself closer to him.
"Yeah," Travis pauses as he grips the side of his torso harder. "I just haven't eaten in a while."
"Shit." Sal says as he starts to rummage through his pockets.
How could he forget? He set out a bag of food to take over. How could he be this stupid? The rustling of his pant pockets and sweatshirt stop as a groaning noise comes from downstairs. Like usual both the boys stop what they are doing, to no luck this time they hear his Father awaken and rise from the couch. In a sudden panic Sal heads for the window, dropping any snack like things he had in his pocket for Travis to eat.
He opens the window as quick as possible as Kenneth's footsteps get closer with each passing second. Instead of heading down the tree that blocks the view from the church, Sal heads towards the roof. It's a better hiding spot since Travis' father supposedly doesn't know about it. Sal hears Travis shut the window down, quick and hard, as his father enters the room. The conversation is muffled by the glass, but since it's an old house some words are recognizable.
"What are you... out... basement, boy!?"
"You let... out."
"Fuck... time... sinner!"
"About 7... Sir." Travis finishes.
With a sudden door slam Kenneth storms down the house stairs to check around. Sal clumsily manages to get to the tree branch outside the room. Through the foggy pane's Sal can see Travis check for his father before opening the window. The glass slides open with a bit of a struggle as Sal and Travis make eye contact, both of their stomachs filling with butterflies.
"You should really go.." Travis mutters as he breaks the eye contact to stare awkwardly at the wall.
"I don't want to leave you"
"I had fun tonight but I really don't want my father to see you."
"I had fun too, remember at my house tomorrow. I'll give you some book and you can pet my cat."
Travis turns towards Sal again as his eyes light up with glee.
"You have a cat?" He says.
"Yeah! His name is Gizmo and he's amazing."
"I'll be sure to come over, but, how will I get there?"
"Hmm.. We could just walk? It takes longer but it isn't impossible."
"Alright, that's fine. And, Sally- I mean Sal?"
"Yes??"
"Thank you for everything." Travis whispers as he closes the window, seemingly of embarrassment.

~~~