one more day

TRAVIS POV:
I wake up the next morning with my window open and cold air flowing around my room. School starts in about an hour I realize looking out the window. I start to get ready as quickly and as quietly as possible, Father doesn't like to be disturbed. I open the door to my room and step into the hallway, it's barely morning and the sun had yet to reach inside of the house. I tiptoe down the hall to the bathroom and step inside cold tile on my bare feet. I don't have any tests today I think as I pull out a toothbrush from the holder. I put the red brush under the faucet and begin to clean my teeth.
I get to see Sal today, we have a short lunch period but maybe I can text him to meet me somewhere so we can talk. I use the cold water and wash my face, hands, and arms. I don't have any other clothes so I have to keep myself clean. I flip the switch in the bathroom and move drowsily back down the way I came.
I pull my phone out of the floor and open it to Sal's contact. I do my best to ignore the "My Boyfriend" part, I still don't know how to feel. I type out:
"Hey, during lunch do you want to meet where your dad picked us up?"
I don't wait for a response as I put it back into its hiding place. I'm leaving it at home because I don't want to have to decide on labels yet. Father never goes in my room unless it's to beat me anyways.

~~

The school day goes by slow as usual. It's cold inside and outside so i'm constantly shivering. I see Sal in the hallways pouring passing period but we never do anything except awkwardly smile. Well, i'm smiling I can't see his face under the prosthetic.
Lunch eventually does come and I sneak out to meet Sal by the door. I sit in front of the concrete pillar and put my school bag next to me. I don't have any lunch so I just wait for Sal. After a few minutes I do hear Sal's voice after the opening door.
"Travis? Are you out here?" He asks quietly, almost a whisper.
I turn my head around the side of the pole just enough to see and wave him over. He spots me, looks around to make sure no one else is here and sprint over. He sits down with a deep breath, pulling off his bag. He doesn't take his prosthetic off which doesn't surprise me because we are at school.
"How have you been?" I question as he pulls out a box of food.
"I've been good, I brought you some food since I figured you didn't have lunch." He says as he pulls out ziploc bags and places them in front of me.
"What are they?" I reply, picking up one of the bags and holding it up to my face, puzzled.
"That one is pretzels, that one is chips, and that one is strawberries. I tried to get some healthy stuff but you've met my dad." He laughs.
"I don't think i've had any of these before." I laugh with him as I open a bag.
"I personally really like pretzels so you should start with that because my opinion is most important."
I smile and breathe a quick laugh out my nose and eat a pretzel, it is really good. It's very salty which was a bit of a surprise.
I try every food he brought and like each one, it might be because i'm so hungry but I enjoy everything. After me and Sal finish our food we sit in a not awkward silence but comfortable. I lean my head on his shoulder and we relax on our full stomachs listening to the sounds of students walk by in the halls behind us.
We sit comfortably until the bell rings and we stop our conversation to sneak back inside the school.
I don't see Sal for the rest of the day. I wish I had because the only time I see him is in the halls or after school when we plan it.
I begin the long walk home after all my classes end.