第23章

Just That Courage

Snow kept falling from the sky and slowly covered the green grass. It's finally winter in Japan. Actually, Hitomi prefered fall and spring, but after a year, snow looked so beautiful again. She wore her winter jacket and took her school back. Only few weeks for the Christmas holiday to begin. Christmas was never too snowy in Japan, like it might be in northern countries. The snowflakes remained on her hair as she walked to school. 

Hitomi's hands were ice cold when she sat next to Mina in the science classroom. Mr. Tomiyasu, their science teacher came right after the girls sat down. He greeted the class and dropped the books he was holding to the teacher's desk and raised his gaze on the class. "Anybody absent?" He asked and the students started recite the absent ones. It was winter and many of people had cold at this time. 

"So, before we start. The headmaster wanted the teachers to announce that before the Christmas holidays our school will hold a Christmas prom. It's voluntary to go of course, but I really recommend you to attend." Mr. Tomiyasu informed. 

Students shared surprised and eager looks with their friends. There was heard a chair dragging sound and one of Niki's friend, Eiji stood up. "Maya. Before it's too late. Do you want to attend the dance with me?" He asked pleadingly. The class found it funny that he was so busy with it. Hitomi knew they probably had something at the party Maya held. Maya, who was sitting on the other side of the class chuckled and then smiled prettily. "Alright, alright. I'll come with you." 

The class started screaming, because of the romance in their class right now. Hitomi really though it was cute. Niki's friends aren't probably from the best end either. But no one can stop the romantic feelings. The teacher laughed a bit too, but then silenced the class again.

~

Hitomi sat in the cafeteria with Mina. She was stirring the soup in her bowl and pondering. Who would she go to the ball with? She don't really know any boys in this school, except Yuma and Niki. Niki was a no though, if he is even gonna attend. Yuma, as a friend, but then Mina would be left alone. 

I'll just go with Mina and Yuma to watch others dance, or of course I can dance with them as well.

Yuma approached the table with his tray and sat besides Mina. "You heard about the dance?" He asked as soon as he could sit down.

"Yeah, we did." Hitomi replied to him.

"I'm gonna ask Hikaru." Yuma declared confidently. Mina and Hitomi shared surprised glances at each other. "Oh, well. You should do it before someone else does." Mina supportingly adviced.

"You're right. I gotta hurry." Yuma said nervously and started to devour his soup. He was so in love with her. Everytime they had nothing to talk about, Yuma started to explain how beautiful and perfect Hikaru was. But he was too shy to approach her. Now it was his change.

"If she says yes, you'll still come with me Mina?" Hitomi inquired and directed her gaze on Mina.

"Yeah, of course. Who else would I go with?"

-

Niki sat comfortably on a sofa in the school's relaxing area. His friends, Eiji and Rio were also there.

"Maya is a hot chick. She said yes. Shit, I'm actually going with her." Eiji eagerly said and plunged next to Niki. There wasn't really any hurry for a parter, but still had to ask before sombody else does. The ball is almost a week ahead. There is still time, but not even that much after all. 

"What about you, Niki? Who are you gonna bring?" Rio who was leaning on a table asked him. Niki looked at him in frustration. "I don't know."

"You don't know? There is lot of hot girls lining for you. None of them?" Rio surprisingly inquired. Niki didn't say anything for a while. He was in his thoughts. Eiji and Rio shared some glances and Eiji raised one of his eyebrows at him. "Hitomi? Don't you like her? You should ask her." Eiji said and shook Niki from his shoulder.

"Ash.. Like her? No. How could I?" Niki denied. Suddenly the words that Sana said the other day came in his mind again. "I knew it all the time. You like Hitomi don't you? You just can't accept it that you fell for her."  Niki thought about those words and the ones Eiji said just now.

Do I like her? No.. I can't like her. What does it even feel to actually like someone?

"Alright." Eiji said and glanced at Rio with a smirk. They both knew he is slowly falling for Hitomi, but Niki has no idea what love is. He just has to figure it out himself.

~

Yuma, Hitomi and Mina roamed through the corridors to find Hikaru. Yuma wanted to hurry up with her before somebody asks her first. If she's even gonna say yes. They stopped when they spotted the girl trio where Hikaru was. 

"Okay, wait here." Yuma urged.

"You can do it!" Mina encouraged him before he left.

Yuma approached the girl and tapped her shoulder. They were far enough that Mina and Hitomi couldn't hear what they were saying. After a brief moment Yuma and Hikaru took a little distance from her friends and now he was probably asking her. Hitomi saw Hikaru's mouth moving and she nodded her head slightly. 

"Omg! Did she say yes!" Hitomi tensely guessed while shaking Mina in amusement. Hikaru walked back to her friends and Yuma approached Mina and Hitomi again. "She said yes!" He announced with relief. 

"Yess." Mina cheered and they all hopped in amusement and then stopped whe they realized they were still in a corridor with plenty of people.