第24章

Hems and Frills

It was afternoon on a thursday. The ball is tomorrow. That's why Hitomi and Mina are going to shop for dresses today. Even though Christmas holiday start the 22nd of December the dance party will be held almost week earlier. On the last days were the final exams of the semester. 

The vibe on the streets and shops was so christmasy.  Colorful lights were hung from the roofs and small artifical Christmas trees were found in the shops. The amount of snow wasn't huge, but it was just what Hitomi prefered. Hitomi saw Mina standing in front of a dress shop. She was wearing a furry white jacket that looked really warm. 

"Oh. There you are. Let's go." Mina happily said and took Hitomi inside the party wear shop. It wasn't huge inside at all. But there were a lots of dresses and in many colours. Mina and Hitomi roamed around the racks and admiring the dresses. The price of some dresses were huge and they still had a limited amount of money to use. 

After about fifteen minutes they finally got one dresses to try on. Mina had a pink silky gown that made her somehow look taller. "What do you think?" Mina said while watching herself from the mirror and Hitomi was sitting on a bench to rate it. "The design is beautiful, but the color doesn't really suit you." Hitomi contemplatively said.

"Really?" Mina looked closely herself from the mirror and switched the angles. Hitomi raised up from the bench, "Maybe something like this." She grapped a lilac dress that didn't have sleeves and it had lace on both sides. Mina tried it on and she thought it looked way better than the other one. Hitomi tried on plenty of dresses, but she didn't seem to find any suitable for her. 

"Excuse me ladies. I saw you trying on the dresses and I thought about that this would look good on you." A female employee said referring to Hitomi while holding a crimson red dress.

"Oh, then I should try it." Hitomi agreed without hesitation. She entered the dressing room after taking the dress that the employee recommended.

"You're having a prom aren't you? There have been many teenagers these days. " The employee said to Mina with a smile.

"Yes. We are."

"It looks beautiful!" Mina praised when Hitomi stepped out of the dressing room. Hitomi straigthly walked in front of the mirror and observed the dress. It actually looked pretty good. And the price wasn't bad either.

"I was right. It suits you really well." The employee affirmed. 

The bell jingled from the doorway, which was a sign of somebody entering or leaving. Hitomi quickly glanced there from the reflection of the mirror as a reflex and saw some familiar faces entering. Hitomi stepped down from the mirror platform.

"Yuma! What are you doing here?" Mina inquired with a smile, when she saw Yuma with Niki entering the shop as well. Yuma had a brown beanie and a tawny puffed jacket that seemed really warm. And in the other hand Niki had only a grey denim jacket and under that was a black hoodie. Like, isn't that gyu cold at all?

"Well, we're buying a new tie for me and a suit for Niki." Yuma said while looking at the dresses the girls were wearing. Mina was still wearing the lilac dress that Hitomi picked. Hitomi's dress had a v-neck and the fabric was smooth and silky. The lenght was up to her shins and the top part accentuated her curves. 

"But.. Why didn't you tell me you were going shopping?" Yuma said while pouting. Hitomi and Mina glanced each other feeling a bit of guiltiness. 

"We though about having a girls-night-out." Mina stuttered hesitantly. It was obvious that she formed the sentence without going through it in her head first. But it's okay sometimes just to spent time with your own gender, right? 

Hitomi felt a bit nervous, when she didn't say anything and Niki either. He seemed to stare at her without knowing it. It was slightly becoming uncomfortable and she slowly crept behind the worker and Mina to hide. 

Why the hell is he staring me? The dress looks bad doesn't it? I can almost see it on his face.

"Oh! Then I'm also having a 'boys-night-out!" Yuma exclaimed jealously. It wasn't like he was actually mad. And even if he was, he wouldn't remember it the next day. "Alright, let's go." Yuma tugged Niki's sleeve and was about to leave.

"I can help you! I'm an expert in choosing suits for customers. And the selection at this time of the year is large." The employee offered.

"Sure." Yuma agreed. The worker began to lead Yuma to the male section, but Niki stood there for a moment. "You look charming in that one, Hitomi." He stated firmly while raising his eyebrow and quickly pointing at her dress, that she was wearing, but then followed Yuma and the female employee. Hitomi suddenly felt shy because of Niki's unexpected praise.

Is he complimenting me? Niki? No, I probably heard wrong.

An eager smile appeared on Mina's lips, as she could feel the electricity between Niki and Hitomi, that they themselves couldn't. 

Hitomi happily stepped out of the store even though the dresses weren't so cheap, but it was nice to have a shopping day after a long time. They bought the dresses they lastly were wearing. Hitomi the crimson one and Mina the lilac. 

"Though, why did we even buy new dresses, if we aren't even going with anyone?" Hitomi jokingly asked themselfes. 

"Oh, right. About that." Mina started and stopped her pace. Hitomi turned on her side and looked at Mina for waiting her to continue what she was about to say. "Somebody actually asked me.. And I said yes." Mina said with a disappointed and sympathetic smile. 

"Oh.." Hitomi got taken aback, but still kept smiling slightly. "Who is it?"

"It's Haruto, from our class." Mina revealed.

"That tall one?" Hitomi surprisingly ensured with her eyes widened.

"Yeah, I don't know why, but I still said yes. Because, why not?"

"Unexpected. But that's nice!"

Yeah.. and now I'm the only one who doesn't have a parter.. But that alright I guess