第39章

Closer

Hitomi was sitting on the sofa of their living room. She didn't have much homework and decided to read a book. The house was all quiet, since her mother is at work late. Well, soon it will not be that quiet. At school they had planned to meet at her house around 6PM. Still an hour to go. But Hitomi enjoyed peace. And indeed, Yuma and Mina invited Haruto and Hikaru, but it was alright, because Hitomi knew them already.

After a moment, in complete silence, she heard the sound of a vehicle outside. It wasn't a car, but the sound came right from her yard. She quickly checked the time and it was just ten past five.

Who is it? 

Slowly Hitomi started panicking, hoping it's not a creep or a burglar. She tried to look out of the windows, but there wasn't really any windows to the front yard. Then the doorbell rang. She hesitated, if she'd open the door or not. After a brief moment she heard a knock from the door.

Actually, could it be Niki? He has a bike. But it's so damn early..

Hitomi decided to open the door no matter what. Even if there was a murderer with a gun. It scared the shit out of her, when there was a tall gyu in all black. For the brief moment she already thought, that she was doomed for opening the door.  The person took off his helmet and relief filled Hitomi. 

"What took you so long?" Niki asked in disbelief.

"I thought you were a damn burglar or something. You're so damn on time." Hitomi nagged.

"Oh, was I that early?"

Hitomi let him in and waited as he took off his outerwear. She had never sen him wear clothes like that. He had a biker's jacket, that was all black, but with a bit of red on the sides and some biker gloves.

"I haven't really cleaned up yet. I have to clean the living room, put away the dirty dishes and this is a complete mess anyway." Hitomi hastily informed and hurriedly started to clean the tabletop in the living room, when she realized how the downstairs looked like and Niki had already come. 

"Calm down, It's just me. I'll help you before the others come." Niki offered.

"Thanks.."

-

After Niki and Hitomi were done cleaning they sat on the sofa. There were still some time left before Yuma, Mina and their dates should come. Or 'dates' whatever they are.

"So, who all was actually coming here?" Niki asked a little ignorant.

"Yuma, Mina, Hikaru and Haruto, if I understood correctly." Hitomi answered.

"Haruto, yeah him. The one in our class." Niki more like talked to himself.  He directed his gaze on Hitomi and smirked a little. Then he changed his seat a bit, so that he was sitting right next to her. Their thighs touched again and Hitomi was about to back up a little, but Niki stopped her by holding her wrist tenderly. 

"What?" Hitomi asked in confusion.

"Ay, nothing." He said aprubtly and looked away. "Or actually, about ye-" He started, but silenced when he took his gaze back at Hitomi. She didn't know why he got quiet and just stared at her, while she did the same. His eyes could occasionally stray to the direction of Hitomi's lips, but she didn't care much about it. It looked like something had mesmerized him into staring at Hitomi, when he suddenly snapped out of it.

"Yeah, yesterday. At the library. You- you hugged me." Niki mumbled weirdly. 

"Mm. Is it a problem? Or.. Did you perhaps like it?" Hitomi asked a bit teasingly.

"Of course I liked it." Niki said absently. Hitomi's teasing smile disappeared quickly. She wasn't sure if he meant to say it out loud, but he didn't answer anything else and looked at Hitomi intensely again. She began to feel a strange feeling in her stomach. 

He wasn't joking. Suddenly, Hitomi started to feel nervous. Maybe it was the firm look with, which Niki looked at Hitomi.  Or the fact that there was no one else in the room, they were just the two of them again.

Niki's palm went up to Hitomi's cheek and his fingers behind her ear. His thumb caressed her cheek gently. Then he started to lean towards Hitomi. She closed her eyes, as her body froze to it's place.

Is he going to kiss me? What do I do? Oh no. I can not do anything. Should I just let him?

Hitomi's heart raced rapidly. It even felt difficult to breathe. She felt how close he was and didn't dare open her eyes. She swore, that she felt Niki's lips touch hers slightly, but a knock from outside the front door interrupted them. Hitomi opened her eyes.

Niki hadn't moved an inch yet, but slowly began to back away, while his hand as well rolled down from her cheek, almost as if in disappointment. He looked at Hitomi, but she couldn't tell what it meant from his look. She was so confused and couldn't move or say anything.

After a moment of knocking, the door opened and Mina and Haruto entered inside. 

"Niki, I didn't know you had a bike!" Mina said in excitement and quickly took off her shoes. Then she approached Hitomi and Niki to the sofa. "It's cool. And looks like you." She added. 

"Thanks." Niki shortly said. Mina froze there for a moment. She looked at Hitomi who seemed absent and felt and awkward atmosphere. "What? Were you making out or something?" Mina asked sarcastically. Either of them answered for a moment. 

"Oh, I guess you were.." Mina guessed in disbelief.

"What? No we weren't. Don't make her uncomfortable." Niki said and stood up. 

"Yeah, sorry." 

Niki left quickly and walked to Haruto. "Hi, dude." He greeted and pulled Haruto a little further. "Your bike is cool. Why don't you ever come to school with it?" Haruto asked eagerly. 

Hitomi wasn't sure are Niki and Haruto friends, but she has never seen them together, so maybe not. But they seemed to get well together. 

"Well, it's kind of like a hobby, you know?" Niki answered and walked towards the kitchen with Haruto.

"I see. Did you glue the stickers yourself, though?"

"Of course. All by myself." 

They kept chatting, but they sat around the kitchen counter and a little more further from Hitomi's auditory. Mina sat down besides Hitomi and took her canvas back. "Hitomi, I brought some snacks." She informed and started to show what she had bought. Hitomi tried to concentrate, but the recent scene still disturbed her a little.