第37章

Apology

Hitomi opened her eyes slowly. It was bright and she could see the white ceiling. Her head stung badly and she rubbed it, if it would help, but it didn't really help at all, as expected. It was the nurse's room. Hitomi glanced to her left and saw the nurse sitting at the table, talking to someone else. Hitomi didn't see the other person, because the nurse was sitting in front of him, or her, so it blocked Hitomi's view. But she paid no further attention to it.

Hitomi got up and sat on the bed. She tried to remembered how she got here. At first she couldn't, but then the memory recalled. Detention, and she started to feel weird and then blacked out.

"Ane, she woke up." Niki said and tapped the nurse's shoulder. (Ane means an older sister in japanese)

The nurse turned around and headed to Hitomi immediately. Niki got up after her and walked behind her.

"Hitomi, are you feeling better?" The nurse asked and patted Hitomi's back gently. Hitomi nodded slightly and then saw the person the nurse was talking to just now.

What is he doing here?

After seeing Niki's face again, she got more small memories. He carried her here, sure enough. She remembered lying on Niki's arms and seeing his face, but it only lasted a moment before she blacked out again. But why? Wasn't he angry? 

"You fainted during your detention. Do you perhaps know why? Have you eaten? Drank? Or do you have your period?" The nurse inquired. 

"I- I skipped lunch.. I had no appetite.." Hitomi admitted, feeling guilty.

"I see. It's okay. It doesn't always feel like eating. I don't think I have anything to give now, but promise that, when you get home you'll eat right away, right?" She urged.  Hitomi nodded while humming as a response. The nurse turned her back and began to do something, maybe pack her own stuff to end her shift too.

Hitomi was about to get off the bed and go home, since it was really late already. Niki stretched out his hand to secure her landing, but Hitomi slammed it away, refusing it. Niki retorted, but on the other hand, he understood very well why she behaved like that. Hitomi landed under her own power, although she still felt a little weak. 

"Do you live far away?" The nurse asked and turned around. 

"No, I walk to school." Hitomi answered.

"I'll walk her home. To keep an eye on her and I live in the same direction anyway." Niki decided.

"Well, that's amazing thing. Bye, then." The nurse said and waved at them as they exit the room.

Hitomi was too tired to debate with Niki and just accepted that he'd follow her until home. But she kept quiet, unable to speak and certainly not with him now. Of course Hitomi was still angry at him. 

-

They walked away from the school grounds in silence. Niki walked behind her all the time, so she didn't see him, but could almost feel that his sharp eyes were staring at her the whole time. 

After a while she felt a hand grapping her wrist, but now gently. She flinched slighty and looked at Niki with widened eyes. "What? Don't touch me." She said tiredly. 

Niki immediately took his hand away as she wanted him to. "I'm sorry, for the corridor thing and everything. I don't why I got so angry and I definitely shouldn't have touched you like that and used my power on you. I'm really sorry. No need to forgive me, I totally understand, if you don't." He apologized.