Chapter 55: Happier Times

"You have grown up to be quite the leader, sis," Sebastian's voice echoed through the now empty dinning hall where Pandora sat with a lit candle and papers on the table.

"Sebastian, what are you doing up at this hour?" Pandora asked as she set her pen down.

"I would ask you the same question," he said, walking over to her and sitting on the chair in front of her. "I still can't believe you turned out to be the captain of the Scouts, but I should have seen it coming."

"Why?" Pandora asked.

"You were always one to lead, even when we were kids," Sebastian said. "You weren't bossy. You always asked for other people's opinions before making a decision. For example, you do a good job in leading these kids," he smiled. "Personally, I feel like you're their mother, Levi is their father, and Hanji is the crazy aunt," he laughed.

"Really?" Pandora asked, now laughing herself at the comparison her brother made.

"Yes. However, I'm not here to compliment you at the moment. We'll do that later. Right now, someone wants to talk with you."

"Who?" Pandora asked, wondering who would want to talk with her now this late at night when they could talk to her in the morning.

Sebastian turned his head around and called out Jessica's name. Jessica had opened the door and began to walk up to them. For the first time in what seems like forever, Jessica smiled. "I'll leave you two alone. By the way, I have a message from your husband; 'go to sleep after the talk is over, love, Levi.'" With that, Sebastian left the two women alone.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Pandora asked, getting down to business.

"Yeah," Jessica answered, taking a seat in the seat Sebastian sat not too long ago. "I came here to explain why I was with the Military Police. I think you deserve to know," she stated.

Pandora was surprise how straightforward her aunt was and the fact she wanted her to know the truth to why she was with the MPs was another surprise she didn't see coming. She patiently listened to what her aunt had to say.

"Right..." Jessica muttered to herself. "Well... as you know, my older sister, your mother, she ended up with all the authority after she had murdered our mother. I was the first to find out about her death and had suspected Silvia was behind it. I didn't tell any of my brothers and sisters as I wanted to keep them in the dark for their safety. Well, things didn't go so smoothly and Silvia caught me in the middle of my investigation. Pandora, your mother and I never met eye to eye and she was quite a handful, so we never had quite of a good relationship with each other to begin with. Just putting that out there."

"Let me guess, when she found out about your investigation, she threaten you," Pandora stated, knowing Silvia all to well.

"Yes," Jessica answered. "She said if I didn't quit the investigation, she would have me killed the same way our grandmother killed the Latinos as they were called. I didn't listen to her and then one night, she sent some MPs after me and kidnapped me from Aunt Judith's house. They were going to kill me, but I begged Silvia not to kill me. She took the chance and made me her slave. I was forced to join the MPs. That's where I met Kenny and well, soon became a captain," she explained.

"I'm sorry for everything," Pandora apologized, now feeling horrible for the hatred she had for her aunt in front of her. She hated her not knowing what Jessica was going through and forced through.

"Don't," Jessica stated. "Though, you kept stressing me out about keeping your record clean. Stealing? Assault? Even murdering!?"

"Sorry..." Pandora murmured. "It was when I lived Underground with Levi and our two friends. We had to do those things in order to live... but they don't know about the people I killed, and I would like it if it stayed like that," she stated.