Chapter 22: The 57th Expedition - Intelligence

The Scout Regiment first saw the abandoned town that was once populated when Wall Maria wasn't breached. What was once filled with villagers was now covered with weeds and looked run down as the Scout Regiment passed through the main street. Of course, they were still in line as they rode out. And, they had to be aware of the Titans since the buildings were most likely to cover them.

"Ahead, to the left, a ten meter class!" Hanji called out. There was indeed a Titan to the left. A very fat one with it's hair spiked up. "I am very interested in seeing what's inside it's stomach... but I'll leave it to the support team." Hanji said.

The support team's job was to kill the Titans as they left the village. One will say it was easy, but they had the whole army's lives in their hands. They successfully killed the Titan, but after the Scout had left them behind.

"Oluo, can they... can my classmates beat the Titans?" Eren asked him.

"Huh? What do you think you been doing for the past month?" Oluo asked. He started to talk up a storm again, but ended up biting his tongue, which cause Jordan, who was on the other side of Eren, to laugh.

Once they past the town, Erwin held out his left hand and said, "go into long-range scouting formation!" Everyone in the regiment started to move outward to their assigned section.

Normally, the Special Ops Squad will be in the middle front and back. But, they were together in one section. It didn't stuck odd to anyone, though. The ones who didn't know the true mission came to a conclusion that is was because of Eren.

Not even far from the wall and the right side of the formation already saw their first Titan. The first soldier to see it, shot a red flare. Everyone else responded to it, and Commander Erwin, shot a green flare in the direction they would turn to.

All the Special Ops Squad can do is watch the color of the flares. Both the captains and commander noticed how there was more activity of Titans on the right side of the flanks than the left. It was odd. Really odd.

Pandora heard another flare gun go off on the right side, so she turned her head as saw it was a black flare. "They're sure getting all the Titans..." Pandora wondered out loud. It wasn't loud enough for everyone to hear though, since it was muffled out by the horses and the wind.

Minutes in silence past, and suddenly, the right flank of the formation fired the yellow flares, meaning there's an emergency. Pandora and Levi looked each other, and gave a small nod, acknowledging that the enemy was here.

---------

Armin had come up with a theory that the Female Titan that was in front of him, Reiner, Baltazar, and Jean was just like Eren: A human who can turn into a Titan. His first reason why was because of the intelligence level the Titan had. It was different from the others. The second reason why was because he noticed how it killed instead of eating the soldiers that went after it. And, he came to a conclusion that it was looking for Eren.

"Eren's with Squad Levi and Squad Pandora, which is in charge of the right flanks," Reiner said when Armin mentioned his conclusion.

Armin, Baltazar and Jean looked at him like he was crazy. "The right flanks?" Jean asked. "The plans I got had them to the rear of the left flanks," Jean stated.

"But mine said they were in the middle back where Commander Erwin is," Baltazar said.

"Mine said they were near the front of the right..." Armin said. "Wait, there's no way they'd be on the front lines." He said.

"Wow, either the person wrote it down got their info wrong, or this is some kind of sick joke!" Baltazar said.

"Then where are they?" Reiner asked.