Chapter 42: Tinted Red Hands

He missed her. Her smile, the way her dark chocolate brown eyes twinkled when she was happy, her hugs, her kisses, the way she always smelled like lavender, the way she cared about others, the way she loved him. Just everything! It hurt just thinking about her. It hurt him that he had to go and tell her siblings and her children that the MPs got her, along with Eren and Historia. Levi wasn't going to forgive himself until he brought her back.

Evelina saw how he looked distressed whenever he was alone. Nora had explained to her how Levi looked angered when he saw them take Pandora away and store her into a coffin. She would ask Nora what else happened after the first squad killed everyone but Flegel, but Nora was shot dead when Hanji's squad, her, and Levi were spying on them.

Now, they were all in a high speed chase down the streets, getting chased by the first squad. Levi, Mikasa, Ivonne, and Alonso were using their 3DM gear to assist everyone else's escape. Earlier, Levi had given the Valentino and Evelina shot guns in order to protect the 104th, now that Nora wasn't here anymore.

Levi, Mikasa, Ivonne, and Alonso had used their blades to dodge the bullets and send them flying back at them, shooting them down in the process. They noticed that they were getting surrounded and began to miss a few people, who went directly towards the 104th. But the twins were there to shoot them down, and oddly enough, they were quite talented with the gun.

At the end, after a long time of battling the first squad and leaving the town, they were finally able to catch their breaths in the abandoned cabin in the woods. Far from civilization. Everyone was quiet and in shock, especially Armin, who had killed someone for the first time.

Evelina and Valentino sat themselves at a corner of the room, quietly mourning for Nora and for their mother. They were scared they might lose a family member again. They didn't want to go through that again. But after their quiet sobs, Valentino fell asleep on the hay while Evelina got up and walked around to find Levi.

Evelina eventually found him, getting an open wound patched up by Sasha. She quietly walked over to them and tapped Sasha by the shoulder. "Hey, Sasha, Connie is looking for you," Evelina said, a total lie. "I can take over while you go talk to him."

"Alright, I wonder what he wants," Sasha wondered as she left to go find the guy.

Evelina grabbed the thread and continued off where she left it at. "Are you blaming yourself for what happened?" Evelina asked him as she sewed the wound close.

"... Yeah," his voice was barely audible over Mikasa trying to comfort Armin.

"Don't be," Evelina said. "It wasn't your fault at all and we don't blame you for what happened either."

For the first time in her life, she saw Levi laugh. It was an extremely small laugh that could pass for a chuckle, but she witnessed it on Levi, which was big. "You're as compassionate and understanding as your mother," he commented.

"I've known her for eight years. Do you know what that means? It means for eight years, I had my mother by my side without me realizing it and never once has it crossed in my mind or anyone else's that, well, how oddly identical we look. With a few exceptions, of course," Evelina said. "Eight years, Captain Levi, where I kept wondering every night if my biological mother was alive and even cared for us and there she was, sleeping in a different room." She was silent for a moment, thinking of what else to say. "I guess it explains why I always looked up to her as a mother rather than a captain in the first place," she said.

"Now that you know she's your mother, do you see Pandora differently?" Levi asked.

"Not really," Evelina answered. "But it's a bit weird calling her mama when we've been used to calling her captain. That's about it, really."