𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐎𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:❝︎I Can't Keep You Safe❞︎

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:
❝︎I Can't Keep You Safe❞︎

RAELYNN STOOD THERE WITH HER ARMS CROSSED OVER HER CHEST, WATCHING WITH RAISED EYEBROWS AS LILIYA YELLED AT THE AGENTS. It was quite amusing if you asked Raelynn, you could tell that Liliya clearly enjoyed being in charge. She was having the time of her life. Steve was standing beside of her, watching his girlfriend with his hands on his hips and trying his very best to act professional and hide his smile, but he was failing. Steve turned his head, catching Raelynn's eyes and she offered him a small smile. Steve nodded towards her before turning to Liliya and saying something to her that Raelynn couldn't hear. Finally, he turned and made his way over to her.

"Hey, Steve," Raelynn greeted.

"Raelynn," Steve nodded. "What can I do for you?"

Raelynn brushed the hair from her face, her eyes darting towards the agents that Liliya was training before she turned her attention back towards Steve. "You know, I was going to ask you something, but after seeing Liliya train those agents, I don't think I want it anymore."

"She's enjoying herself, that's for sure." Steve chuckled. "What's up?"

Raelynn took a deep breath before nodding her head. "I wanted to ask you if. . . if I could become an agent." Steve frowned. "I was talking to Willow, and I think that the monster isn't completely gone, that it's just hiding for now. I was thinking that if it's still there, that there could be a way to control it, kind of how Willow controls the alien. I could train, get good at hand-to-hand and learn how to properly hold a gun. I just. . . I don't like sitting around here and doing nothing. I hate feeling like I have to be a child that you have to babysit. I want to be able to help. I want to do the things that you and Liliya do. I know it's a big responsibility, but I'm ready to take it."

Steve thought about it for a moment. Raelynn continued, "Willow has already offered to train me. She said she would try to convince Natasha to help too. My sister can take care of herself, she has control of her powers and she went on missions with the X-Men, I'm sure she'll be wanting to head back home soon anyways so my focus won't be divided. I can devote myself. I know it's going to take time, but I'm ready. I have a lot to prove. A lot to make up for. This is my path to redemption. Just. . . just give me a chance, and if you don't think it's going to work out after a few weeks of training, then I understand."

"Raelynn, I wasn't going to say no." Steve chuckled at her rambling.

Raelynn paused. "You weren't?"

Steve shook his head. "No. In fact, Liliya and I were actually talking about trying to convince you to join the team."

"You were?"

Steve smiled and nodded. "We were. I'll set up a plan with Willow. You can begin training next week."

Raelynn's eyes widened and she smiled in excitement. "Okay. Yeah. Okay, great. Uh, thanks, Steve. It means a lot." Steve nodded before turning and making his way back over to Liliya. Raelynn smiled as she turned on her heel and made her way back inside. Quickly, Raelynn went in search for Willow. She struggled to remember where her room was, but she finally found it and knocked on the door.