Chapter two

7:30 am September 13th

After getting myself ready I head down to the kitchen to make some coffee to get me through the day and begin to pack Isla's lunch. While doing so, I think about how different my life could have been if her mum and I were still together. I truly don't think I would be this happy and where I am today if that was the case, but sometimes I can't help my mind from wandering off there.

Amy and I had been college sweethearts. She was amazing; she was funny, kind, loving and beautiful but when she fell pregnant with Isla in our final year of college, she changed. She started distancing herself from me and at some points I couldn't get a hold of her for days at a time.

It was driving me mad... not knowing what I did to push her away. Yeah, sure the pregnancy at 23 wasn't planned but she seemed excited at first. She looked excited to tell me. Once she saw I had a positive reaction she seemed to relax and let the excitement run free.

It wasn't until one night we finally had plans to have a nice dinner together, and I spent hours cleaning my apartment after kicking out my roommates for the night, and cooking her favourite meal, only for her not to show up; that I broke down.

I had waited for almost three hours and had numerous unanswered calls and texts, when my phone finally chimed. I picked it up as quickly as I could, worried that something was wrong with her or the baby, but there was only one message from her.

Amy: Something came up. I'm not going to make it.

I wasn't sure what to do with that. We had this plan for weeks, I thought we were both looking forward to it. I was doing everything I could to try and show her that I'd support her through the whole pregnancy and to show her how sorry I was for doing whatever I did that was pushing her away.

I sat there and stared at the screen for a moment trying to string together a response. I could only think of one thing to say.

Are you okay?

I didn't get a response back that night or for about three days after.

That night all I did was put the food in the fridge and text my roommates telling them they could come back and there was food in the fridge they could eat, before I went up to my room and laid in the dark.

Three days after not hearing back from her, I was getting both worried and annoyed. Could she not have let me know before I spent five hours getting the place ready for her? For us?

No. She told me three hours after she was supposed to be there with me.

Did something happen? I will feel like the biggest ass on the planet for being hurt by her not showing up if she's not okay. She needs to be okay. For me. For the baby. For us.

That's when it happened. I got to her apartment and found her on the couch hooking up with some guy from her study group, Jace, I think his name is. Apparently this had been going on for the whole semester.