Chapter six

September 20th 

September 20th 

"Isla!" I call up the stairs when I pull the blueberry pancakes off the stove and put them on a plate with some fruit.

I've been running around all morning cleaning the whole place up over and over again. It's still clean, I mean Isla has been asleep the whole time I've been awake, so there's no new mess but I've been cleaning the same surfaces repeatedly.

I woke up at 4 this morning, and my mind started spinning about the fact that Ivy is coming over today. She's coming here to see Isla.

Isla has been so excited ever since I told her the other night at dinner that Ivy could come over on the weekend.

She even ran up to her room and brought down a pink glitter pen and gave it to me. When I asked her what it was for she grabbed my hand and dragged me to the calendar on the wall and instructed me to write 'Ivy's nail appointment' on the day she would be here.

That same night, just as I told Ivy, Isla had the living room turned into her little nail salon. I was bossed around for hours. Being told where to move the couch and chairs, where the table goes, where I need to put the lamps, how I organized her nail polish colours wrong.

Once I got her into bed that night, she was telling me how excited she is to spend time with her new friend.

I feel like I should be allowed to be a little bit offended that she's never put this much effort into my nails. The most her nail salon gets for me is bringing her nail bin down and sitting me down at the table. Ivy had Isla turning our entire living room upside down.

I love seeing my baby this happy.

As I read her a book that night, she interrupted me every page to change her guess on what colour Ivy is going to pick for her nails, every time she remembered a new colour.

When my mind started spinning this morning I knew I wouldn't be getting more sleep so I just got up. I went out to the garage and worked out for an hour to try and get myself back to sleep, but no, after i was done i went up to take a shower and figure out what i'm going to wear.

It's not a date is it? I don't think so. She's just coming over here and Isla will be here.

I hope she didn't just agree to this because Isla has a way of getting people to do whatever she wants. I want her to want to be here. 

See this is what happens, I wake up early and try to distract myself but that never works and then I spend three hours cleaning and re-cleaning the whole house trying to convince myself there's a mess, when really I'm the mess.

Why must I overthink everything? Ivy suggested giving me her number to find a time for this. When we had coffee the other day, she was the one who suggested Saturday. She wants to be here... I think. So why do I feel like I went outside and grabbed her off the street to have Isla paint her nails.