Forty Eight

Maya Hayes' POV:

"Louis.." I ask in warning and he just frowns with a shrug. "I don't know how.." he drags on with a shake of his head.

"Do you want me to let them in?" He questions and I ask myself the same thing. Do I want him to let them in?

"I'm going to break the damn door if you don't let me in this instant" I hear Miles shout and am in front of the door before I can blink. Something in the way he spoke told me he wasn't really joking.

I open the door and am come face to face with Miles and Mason. Before I can speak up, I feel myself getting crushed in a hug by Mason.

"I thought something happened to you" he whispers and I hear the slight tremble in his voice. Only now noticing Celine and Olivia standing behind them.

"I'm fine" I mumble and Miles walks past us, into the house but not before muttering something.

"Bullshit" I hear and don't question it.

The atmosphere in the apartment was thick with tension with Mason not leaving my side as I drag us both into the living room where the rest of them sat.

Miles throwing daggers towards Louis.

"What is he..?" Mason asks looking lost as he sees Louis before ur finally clicks and he looks at him almost...betrayed?

A  small cough escapes my mouth and everyones heads suddenly turn towards me, their faces etched with concern. Just great. I hate pity and thats the last thing I read now.

I sit on the couch, my eyes downcast and hands trembling slightly. I know I'm the one who started the conversation but I was now avoiding it at all cost.

"How did you-?" I don't complete my sentence but Olivia replies instantly. "CCTV"

"Why didn't you tell me when I called you?" Mason directs his question towards Louis who stood behind the kitchen counter.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"I told him not to" I speak up suddenly and he doesn't bother continuing with the question.

"Well, amazing family reunion over here, but I should go, I've got an art exhibition you prepare for" I say, getting up and trying to get away from all the prying eyes but am pulled back down by a hold on my arm from Mason.

"Maya, you can't keep pretending like everything is fine, like you didn't just tell us that you're sick, like you didn't just vanish for a day, like- like you didn't just almost get" hit by my own father? Ha. Miles stops himself from completing and I notice the redness under his eyes which makes my already dry throat, worse.

"I didn't want to burden you all with this. It's a lot to handle and you already have responsibilities of your own-" he cuts me off with a scoff. "What responsibilities Maya? My only damn responsibility right now is making sure my family is safe and I don't seem to be doing a very good job at it"

"Burden us? Maya, we're your brothers- your family. We're supposed to be there for you, no matter what." Mason says from beside me, holding onto my hand as if I'm going to disappear if he lets go.

Tears threaten to fall and I wipe them away with the back of my hand. "I didn't want to worry you. I thought I could handle it on my own."

"Are you really going to die..?" Mason suddenly asks, slowly, as if speaking of it will hurt me. "We're scared, Maya, and it's not fair to keep us in the dark. Please- please tell us what's going on" he chokes up.

"I might" I answer vaguely and his eyes drop. "What' s that supposed to mean?"

I take a deep breath, my hands trembling even more now. I look up at Louis who nodded at me to continue making me breath out in hopes of preparing myself.