f i v e

With a note clenched tightly in my hand, I ascend the winding staircase, brushing off the puzzled gazes of the boys I encounter along the way.

"Fancy meeting you here," Toby Cornell, a seventh-year student, remarks with a flirtatious grin when I pass him.

I don't stop, but simply smile back and continue up the stairs. Toby and I had a fling last year, and I have no intention of revisiting that chapter. He was an absolutely horrible kisser.

When I arrive at the door, I rap my knuckles against it gently, waiting eagerly as the wood swings inward, revealing Sirius Black on the other side. His hair is as wild as ever, and that mischievous grin of his tells me he's not surprised to see me standing there.

"Hey there," Sirius greets me with a wink, leaning casually against the doorframe. "What brings you to our humble abode?”

"You have my friends," I remark, holding up Lily's note that I had found on my pillow when I returned from the library.

“This way, milady,” With a playful sidestep and bow, Sirius allows me entry.

The room mirrors the layout of the girls' dorm, but is way messier. Clothes and parchment are scattered, books piled haphazardly, and posters of Quidditch teams and girls wearing bikinis adorn the walls. And the air hangs heavy with that unmistakable scent that only teenage boys seem to emanate, creating an atmosphere that is both familiar and slightly chaotic.

I enter and settle beside Remus, who is engrossed in his book, his bed notably the tidiest.

"Already done?" Lily inquires from James' bed. She sits leaning against the headboard while James lies with his head in her lap.

I nod, "We decided to split the workload." I respond and omit the part about Mulciber because I know Lily doesn't approve of Snape hanging out with him.

My gaze sweeps the room once more. Sirius has reclaimed his spot, casually propped against a bedpost. Marlene occupies an armchair nearby, her feet nonchalantly resting on Sirius' bed. On the farthest bed, Peter lies down engrossed in a comic book.

"It's much neater than I remember." I say and watch as the boys exchange puzzled glances, then shift their attention to Sirius.

"It wasn't me," he declares, palms raised.

"Well, it's not me!" James quickly adds and looks at Remus, who's shaking his head furiously.

Their eyes turn to Peter, who has turned a vivid shade of crimson. "It's not what you're thinking!"

"What are we thinking, Peter?" Sirius teases.

I can't help but chuckle at their reaction, finding it both amusing and a little disheartening. It's sad that their immediate assumption is that the only reason I've been in their dormitory is for a hookup.

"Peter had a mishap with a Shrinking Solution in third year. It ended up drenching me and I spent four days in the hospital wing, I even missed the first Hogsmeade weekend. He took me up here to retrieve my schoolbag," I state matter-of-factly as I recount the memory.

Sirius laughs, a hearty sound that fills the room. "Ah, yes! I remember that! You were the size of a garden gnome!"

Peter's embarrassment dissipates, replaced by a sheepish grin. "Sorry about that, Eileen."

I wave off his apology with a smile. "No harm done, Peter. I grew back to normal size.”

My mind drifts, yearning for the comfort of the girls' dormitory and my own bed. Upon my return from the library, I'd discovered only Dorcas in the room and a note stating that Lily and Marlene were hanging out with the Marauders.

Given Marcus and Dorcas's apparent reconciliation, I figured the boys' dormitory might be the more inviting option. Still, all I want is to sink into my bed and sleep.

Sensing my unease, Remus extends a small box of chocolates, offering me a piece. Grateful, I accept, murmuring a soft, "Thank you."

"No problem. Marlene mentioned you'd be heading to Hogsmeade alone this weekend. You're more than welcome to join us, you know?" he adds with a friendly glint.

"Who's 'us'?" I ask and arch a brow.

"Well, Peter, Sirius, and I—James is going with Lily."

As realization dawns on me, I swiftly turn to Marlene. "Wait, you're bailing on me this weekend!?" I exclaim.

Marlene rolls her eyes. "I've got a date."

"Yeah, you're bailing on me," I narrow my eyes. "Who is it?"

"Gareth Eyre just asked me out a few hours ago."

I remain silent. I'd kissed Gareth just last month, but I have a feeling Marlene wouldn't appreciate that tidbit. However, my lack of reaction seems to be confirmation enough for the blonde.

“Ellie, are you kidding me?” She shrieks, promptly sits up and flings a magazine from Sirius's bed in my direction.

"Hey!" I duck, narrowly avoiding a collision. It lands safely on the bed next to me.

I pick it up and examine the cover, which features a bikini-clad woman posing on a broom.

"Classy," I remark before tossing it back to the teenage boy, who effortlessly catches it.

"Always," Sirius quips, flashing a wink my way. "So, are you joining us?"

I consider it for a moment. The prospect of spending Hogsmeade weekend alone weighs on me — especially since it's Valentine's Day and the streets will be buzzing with couples. But I'm not going to stand in the way of Marlene going on a date with Gareth, who I remember is both charming and cute. The idea of spending time with the three Gryffindor boys is tempting, despite my initial reluctance.

Even if it makes me feel like a charity case.

I turn back to Remus with a bright smile. "Alright, I'm in. Hogsmeade with you guys sounds like a much better plan than wandering around alone."

"Excellent!" Sirius exclaims, clapping his hands together. "It's a date then."

"More like a group outing," Remus interjects with a smirk.

"Semantics," Sirius waves him off and flashes me another grin, that makes my cheeks heat up — hopefully not enough for anyone to notice.