t e n

February 1974

Professor McGonagall's voice, usually stern, holds an unusual gentleness as she speaks, "They are waiting for you inside, dear," and holds the door open for me.

Stepping inside, I find myself bathed in the warm, golden glow of numerous candles. Their flames dance, casting shifting shadows on the walls adorned with portraits of former headmasters and headmistresses. The room is a treasury of old books and artefacts, and in one corner, a phoenix perches on a golden stand.

At the heart of it all, by the grand desk, sit my mother and two brothers, facing the headmaster.

"Sit down, Eileen," my oldest brother's once-confident voice now carries a tremor that sends a shiver down my spine.

I comply, taking a seat by the desk.

Only moments ago, I was engrossed in a chess match with Lily when Professor McGonagall entered the common room with news of my family's visit.

"What's wrong?" I mouth to Robbie, the youngest of my two brothers, who sits beside me. He shakes his head, equally perplexed.

Professor Dumbledore, his wise eyes filled with empathy, is the first to break the silence. "I understand this is a difficult time for your family. Please know that Hogwarts will support you in any way we can."

My mother's voice trembles with emotion as she speaks, "Thank you, Professor. We appreciate your kindness."

Although only a few years older, Christopher exudes a maturity that sets him apart from Robbie, who is in his seventh year. Therefore, it is Christopher who will deliver the news. "Father has been diagnosed with cancer, Eileen and Rob."

As soon as the words leave his mouth, I feel the room closing in on me, the weight of those words settling heavily on my chest.

"Don't worry, love. St. Mungo's will have him fixed up in no time," my mother assures, placing a comforting hand on top of mine.

On her best days, my mother is the epitome of grace and beauty, admired by many. But on her worst days, she is a mere shell disconnected from reality. This is not a good day.

"Mother," Christopher says, wrapping an arm around her. He glances at us and shakes his head.

"He'll be fine, just you wait and see, Chris," my mother insists.

I turn to Professor Dumbledore, my eyes pleading for reassurance. Yet, the headmaster only offers a sympathetic smile.

"Can we see him?" Robbie asks his brother.

"I have arranged with Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall that you can visit as often as you like. However, you still need to focus on school. Especially you, Rob. It is your final year, after all," Christopher replies, emphasizing the last part.

"Can we see him now?" I add hopefully.

"I understand the wish for urgency. However, it is late, Ms. Davies, so I suggest the two of you go tomorrow. As head of house, Professor McGonagall will escort you," Dumbledore says.

"Thank you, Professor. We appreciate your kindness," my mother says.

ϟ

October 1974

Months have passed since I received the news of my father's illness, and the hospital has become a second home. I never quite acclimatise to the sterile scent and the faint hum of the machines.

When we first visit our father, he seems fine, and I try to convince myself it's a terrible joke. But as time goes on, I can't ignore the deepening lines on his face or the fading strength in his hugs.

It isn't just physical changes. He had once been known for his humour and joviality, but now, with his voice fading, the jokes are mere echoes in my mind.

I approach my father's bedside with cautious steps, my heart growing heavier with each one. I take his hand in mine, feeling the lingering warmth. He is asleep.

"I'm here," I whisper, my voice a faint echo in the sterile room.

ϟ

December 1974

Dear Eileen,

If you're reading this, it means I'm no longer with you. I have faith in your strength to face this. Remember, my love for you is unwavering.

Every day, I fear how my passing will affect your mother's fragile soul. She doesn't understand that this may be the end. It's a Muggle disease. Magic has no cure. But I hope that you, along with your brothers, will support her as best you can. You are each other's pillars, and I am immensely proud of all of you.

Live life to the fullest, my dear. Embrace its challenges. Seize every moment, and never be afraid to love wholeheartedly.

You are much stronger than you think. You carry our legacy. Love boldly, as we did. You're never alone; our love surrounds you.

Cherish every moment. Love unconditionally.

With all my love, dad