f o r t y f o u r

“Ow!”

I'm jolted awake by a sharp pain in my toe. Groaning, I sit up in bed, rubbing my eyes to chase away the remnants of sleep. As my vision clears, I see a small figure scurrying near my feet. Panic surges through me as I realize it's a rat. Its teeth still clamped onto my toe.

"What the...?" I start, but then recognition dawns on me.

"Peter?"

The rat releases my toe and scurries up onto my bed, its tiny eyes darting around the room with urgency. I stare at it incredulously, my heart pounding in my chest.

"What are you doing here?" I demand, my voice a mixture of confusion and disbelief.

The rat squeaks urgently, its tiny paws gesturing towards the door. My confusion turns to concern as I realize something must be wrong.

"What's happened?" I ask, my voice trembling with apprehension.

The rat squeaks again, its movements frantic and agitated. I follow its gaze to the door, and that's when I see it – a trail of blood leading out into the hallway.

My heart lurches in my chest as I leap out of bed. Without hesitation, I grab my wand from the bedside table and rush out into the corridor, the rat following close behind.

As we reach the boys’ dormitory, my worst fears are confirmed. Sirius lies crumpled on the bed, his face contorted in pain as he clutches his stomach. Blood pools beneath him, staining the bedsheets in a dark red puddle.

James stands by Sirius's bedside, his hands clenched into fists at his sides, his face a mask of worry and helplessness. His usually messy hair is even more dishevelled than usual, strands sticking up at odd angles as if he's run his hands through it one too many times in frustration.

Remus paces back and forth, his brow furrowed in deep concentration. His eyes flicker with concern as he watches Sirius, his hands wringing together nervously.

"Sirius," I gasp, rushing to his side. "What happened?"

Ignoring the way my heart leaps as I touch him, I move his hand and carefully lift his shirt to examine the injuries.

“We were trying to figure out a spell,” James explains. “It backfired.”

Backfired? I think to myself as I assess the open wound that, despite the obvious efforts to close it, is still spilling out blood. If we don't do something fast, he'll bleed out.

"We need to get him to the hospital wing," I declare, my voice steady despite the fear gnawing at my insides.

“No!” Sirius pants, his breaths uneven and heavy. “Madam Pomfrey will ask too many questions.”

"Sirius, you're bleeding," I protest.

"I'll be fine," he grunts through clenched teeth, but the pain etched on his face tells a different story.

I exchange a worried glance with Remus, hoping he'll have a more rational voice of reason, but he just shakes his head. Realising that none of the boys will help me, I sigh.

“What do you suggest we do?” I ask, my voice tinged with frustration and desperation.

James looks at me with pleading eyes. “You're the best healer among us, Ellie. We need your help.”

I take a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves. I have seen Madam Pomfrey treat open wounds — amid minor, so I know what to do, but I have no practical experience.

“Alright,” I say, steeling myself for what needs to be done. “But we have to be quick.”

I turn to Peter, who is still in his rat form, and gesture for him to fetch the necessary supplies. As he scurries off to retrieve them, I focus my attention on Sirius, assessing the extent of his injuries.