s e v e n t e e n

The torchlight flickers, casting dancing shadows across the cold stone walls of the dungeons.

I stand before the entrance to the Slytherin Dungeons, determination burning in my eyes.

I'm going to get in, one way or another.

"Pureblood," I mutter, my voice echoing in the narrow corridor.

The wall remains stubbornly still.

Why am I even doing this?

I take a steadying breath, trying to ease my nerves.

"Salazar," I declare with newfound confidence.

Still, no response.

Perhaps I should retreat.

"Familia," I call out in a desperate hope that some connection to family might be the password. But the wall remains impassive.

"Ambition." Still, nothing.

Why am I bothering with this?

"Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!" I cry out in exasperation, my patience wearing thin.

Just as I'm about to attempt another word, the echo of approaching footsteps catches my ear. My heart races, knowing I'm caught. I turn slowly, trying to mask my guilt with a forced smile.

Severus Snape emerges from the shadows, his dark eyes narrowing as he sees me. "Davies?"

"Snape." I greet, "what are you doing here?"

"This is my house." Severus regards me skeptically. "What are you doing here?"

"Attempting to get in," I reply, trying to maintain an air of nonchalance.

Severus raises an eyebrow, the tiniest hint of a smirk playing on his lips. "Attempting to get in? By shouting random words? Are you trying to alert the entire castle?"

"Not entirely random." I feel the heat rise in my cheeks. "I... I thought perhaps one of them might be the password," I confess.

"Did you honestly think that would work?"

I nod. Why not?

"Why are you here?" He inquires again.

As I see it, I have three options. One, wait and hide, hoping for a chance to slip in when Snape makes his entrance. Two, summon the courage to ask him for the password (fat chance of that happening). Three, continue to yell at the entrance, hoping to figure out the correct password.

But there's a fourth option, the truth.

"I'm working on a group assignment with... Rosie Hoult. You know, copper hair and..."

"I'm aware of who she is."

"Of course, right. You see, we were in the library, and she unfortunately grabbed the wrong bag. So, I'm just here to correct her mistake."

Snape regards me sternly, his arms crossed. Honestly, that boy could give McGonagall a run for her money. "Where is the bag?"

"I assume it's in her room."

"No. Where is HER bag? If you're switching them around, should you not have her bag with you?" He smirks.

Oh. 

"I need to talk to Black," I finally admit. "... Regulus."

He narrows his eyes. "What is it with you and the Black brothers?"

I don't want to answer that. "Please," I implore, my voice barely above a whisper.

Snape studies me for a moment, his eyes lingering on my appearance. Despite my attempts to clean the dried tears and smudged mascara, my eyes remain red and swollen.