t h i r t y o n e

It's a conspiracy.

The teachers seem determined to execute us, and the cause of death will be: killed by homework. Am I overreacting? Not at all. It's the only plausible explanation for them to distribute this amount of homework within the first week back.

Just to clarify, I have three written assignments due within a week, plus around 500 pages of reading. And a quiz in Transfiguration, just to assess how much we remember from the last school year. So, death by homework is no exaggeration.

Fortunately for me, it's a mass murder, so I'm not the only one suffering.

"Is it possible to grow dumber from studying?" Marlene groans and lies down on the blanket covering the grass.

It's still early September, and the mild weather means that most students are outside either relaxing, playing, or, in our case, studying.

"I think I've forgotten how to hold my wand - Remus, am I left or right-handed?" Peter holds up his hand and juggles his wand between them.

Remus puts Peter's wand in the right hand before turning to James. "How are you holding up? Did you talk to McGonagall?"

James groans. "No luck. She just gave me a speech about how she was head girl AND Quidditch captain in her day, and she got top grades while winning the Quidditch Cup... I made a small comment about having a life, and she just handed me ANOTHER assignment." He rests his head on Lily's shoulder in defeat.

"You know you can just, you know, quit being Quidditch captain." I tell him, but James just snorts.

"Not after the speech she just gave."

I shift my attention back to my Charms assignment, but I can't concentrate. With a loud sigh, I give up and lie down on the grass next to Marlene.

"Why are you even here?" Marlene asks quietly, so we don't disturb the others. "You usually spend all free time with that boyfriend of yours."

I grimace. "Not all free time. Didn't we play chess yesterday?"

"Oh yeah, for 30 minutes while Sirius had detention." Marlene laughs. "I'm not complaining. I was just wondering why he isn't here, eyeing you with lust, making us all uncomfortable."

"He doesn't do that!" I argue. "But I don't know where he is."

The three boys share a look, and Remus shakes his head as if telling them not to say anything. Marlene and I both notice this.

"What?" I ask. "You three know something. Where is he?"

"James, don't." Remus begs, but James ignores him.

"He's with Robins."

"Perley Robins? Your seeker? I didn't know they were friends." Marlene chimes in and looks at me; I shrug. Apart from James, Remus, and Peter, I don't know any of Sirius's friends.

"They're not exactly friends." James continues.

"What is it then, are they secret lovers?" Marlene asks, while I try not to seem interested. Sirius can hang out with whomever he wants. Although if he has a secret male lover, that may be something we should talk about.

"James." Remus warns again, but James just rolls his eyes.

"Moony, she should know," James begins, nodding towards me. Okay, now I'm curious.

"I should know what?"

Remus and James share another look, before Remus sighs, giving up.

"Perley's his dealer." James tells me.