n i n e t e e n

As exams approach, I completely forget about Quidditch.

James does not. He attempts to discuss strategies with us, only to be met with the reality that he is the sole Quidditch fanatic. The rest of us, particularly Lily and I, simply don't share his enthusiasm. Nonetheless, credit where it's due — James proves an exceptional captain. Gryffindor's chances of winning are promising with only two matches left in the school year, the first being Hufflepuff vs. Slytherin on the second weekend of May.

As I settle down for breakfast on match day, the Great Hall is already abuzz with students who paint their faces and carry banners, predominantly yellow.

Almost immediately, a pair of eyes lock onto me and I look up to find Wood, the Hufflepuff captain, glaring in my direction. Confused, I turn to Lily, seated next to me. "Is it just me, or does Wood look like he wants me dead?"

Lily follows my gaze. "Well, your affair with Holden did almost make them forfeit the last game..."

"Not to mention the broken nose he received when Abbott sucker-punched him," Marlene adds without looking up from her cereal.

I smile at the memory but before I get a chance to retort, Sirius slides onto the bench beside me, leaning in slightly. "Hello."

"Hi," I reply casually, as if we hadn't just had an impromptu snogging session in an empty corridor just ten minutes ago.

Lily nudges me. "Looks like Wood's plotting something."

I glance up again, and indeed, the Hufflepuff captain is still glaring at me while whispering something to a platinum blonde girl next to him — Kara Poynton, the team's seeker.

I sigh. "Why does he still have an issue with me? It's not like I'm on the opposing team."

Sirius leans in. "Maybe he's just jealous that you found better company than his team players."

I notice Lily rolling her eyes and hear her mumble 'what a flirt' as I nudge him back. "Or maybe he's upset that his team is going to lose," I say.

The sound of forks hitting the wooden table interrupts us.

"Oh no! Don't go there, Davies!" James protests with a pointed finger. "We NEED Hufflepuff to win!"

"Technically, you don't. If Slytherin wins by a margin of 150 points, then you only need 240 points to win the house trophy," I say, drawing the attention of eight pairs of eyes.

Sirius chuckles at my remark. "I didn't think you liked Quidditch."

I shrug, not entirely comfortable with the attention. "Just basic maths, really."

"How do you know that?" James asks with his mouth slightly open.

"Robbie" I tell him 'as a matter of fact'. "He always gives me a play-by-play of every game. Despite the fact that I actually attend the games in person. And don't care. Apparently it's his way of 'broadening my education'."

James looks impressed. "So what does he have to say about our chances?"

"Well..." I try to recall the last (very lengthy) letter, I had received from my brother, who is currently training with Puddlemere United. "... your chances are good. You have a strong team, but you need to work on your left aim. It's weak."