t h i r t y t w o

Over the following weeks, I continue assisting in the infirmary a few times a week. While my tasks mostly involve handling uncomplicated injuries and minor curses, Madam Pomfrey also allows me to participate in researching the best treatments.

Due to the growing load of homework, my available hours during the week are limited. To compensate, I lend a hand on weekends, though it tends to be quieter, except when Quidditch tryouts are in full swing, as was the case the first Saturday of October.

On that particular day, both Gryffindor and Ravenclaw held their tryouts simultaneously, much to Madam Pomfrey's dismay.

"Eileen, there's a patient with a broken arm. Can you handle it?" she asks, gesturing towards the bed where the injured student awaits.

"Absolutely," I affirm, collecting my materials and heading over to assist.

As I approach, I notice another familiar face among the injured. James sits on one of the beds with his leg in the air, a hint of disappointment on his face.

"What happened to you?"

"Minor Quidditch accident. Took a tumble in mid air," he responds, wincing a bit.

"Should've focused more on your broomstick than showing off," a teasing voice interrupts, and Sirius strolls into view, a mischievous grin playing on his lips as he lays eyes on me.

James glares at Sirius. "Easy for you to say, you don't play."

I roll my eyes at their banter, focusing on my patient — a seventh-year Ravenclaw named Adrian Galloway. He gives me a flirtatious grin as I approach.

"Well, well, are you here to mend my wounded heart?" he says, winking playfully.

I chuckle, "I'm here to mend your arm, Galloway. Can I have a look?"

He extends his injured arm, and I carefully assess the damage. "Does this hurt?" I ask and bend his arm lightly.

"Doesn't hurt as much when you're around," he adds with a wink, and I can't help but sneak a glance at Sirius, who is glaring at Adrian.

"Okay, how about this?" Adrian winces, and I try to suppress a smile as I proceed with my examination. "Don't worry, you'll be back to chasing after the Snitch in no time," I assure him.

"Excellent news! Maybe during the next match, you can be my personal cheerleader," he says, his tone still laced with flirtation.

Sirius, catching the exchange, raises an eyebrow at Adrian. "I think Eileen prefers her Quidditch from the Gryffindor stands, don't you?"

"Because I'm such a Quidditch fan," I mutter sarcastically while looking at Sirius, a smile playing on my lips, before turning my attention back to Adrian, "But yes, I'll be cheering from the Gryffindor stands."

"Really? Weren't you shagging Holden last year for good luck?"

I give him a pointed look, "You want me to test your pain tolerance again?" I warn him with a tight grip on his arm.

Adrian throws his uninjured arm up, feigning surrender. "Sorry — that was uncalled for."

I can feel Sirius staring and hear him whisper something to James, but I keep my focus on Adrian's arm. "Alright, I'm going to apply a healing charm. It might sting a bit, but it'll help speed up the recovery."

As I perform the charm, Adrian winces once more, this time biting his lip to suppress a sound. I finish the procedure, and he flexes his mended arm.

"Wicked! If I ever have another Quidditch-related injury, I'll know where to go," he says with a playful wink.