t w e n t y n i n e

Thud.

The sound startles me, snapping me out of my thoughts — and the book I'm reading. I grab my wand, ready to protect myself if it's a Death Eater that has just Apparated into the flat. Nervously, I scan the room, searching for the source of the noise, but there's no one.

"Hello?" A voice echoes from what appears to be the bathroom.

I chuckle, a sense of relief washing over me as I recognise the voice. "Wrong room, Marlene. I'm in here." I say and lower my wand.

"Hey, at least I made it to the right flat," Marlene says, poking her head through the door to the living area. "Can you imagine if I Apparated into your neighbour's flat while they took a shower?"

"Considering my neighbour is 80 years old—and a Muggle—you would most likely be arrested, or she would die of fright," I retort, wearing a playful smile and walk over to give Marlene a warm hug. "Missed you, Marls."

Marlene returns the hug, squeezing tightly. "Missed you too! Are you sure Robbie's okay with me staying the rest of the summer?" We break the embrace, and Marlene takes a moment to look around. "It's quite small for three people."

I motion for her to take a seat, and we settle on the sofa. "It's only a week, and Robbie's gone most of the time," I assure her.

It's true. I have barely seen Robbie all summer. When he's not playing Quidditch, he has a billion excuses not to be home, and when I ask what he's doing, he skillfully avoids the question. I'm sure he's not even going to know that Marlene is staying with us.

"Well, I promise not to be too much of a bother." Marlene leans back, studying me with a mischievous grin. "So, what's new?"

"Not much. Elvis died," I tell her, feigning nonchalance and giving a casual shrug.

I haven't told Lily and Marlene about Sirius and me, about us being a thing again—a couple. It probably should have come up in our letters, but... well, it didn't, and I am most likely going to pay for it when they find out.

Marlene gasps in mock surprise, her eyes widening. "Don't remind me; my mum cried for days." She rolls her eyes dramatically.

I feign offence. "Don't roll your eyes at the King—he is the inspiration for so many bands, that he'll have your respe..." Before I can finish my sentence, Marlene sends a pillow flying in my direction. I narrowly avoid it, laughing, and stick out my tongue.

Marlene grins, her laughter contagious. "Weirdo. Now, is Lily coming?"

I shake my head, hugging the pillow that Marlene threw at me. "She is going to Diagon Alley today and asked if we wanted to join her. I said yes."

Marlene stands up, stretching. "Then why are we still here?"

"Why are you asking me? I was waiting for you—you were an hour late, by the way." I playfully point a finger at her, not bothering to move from my comfortable seat.

"Do you know how hard it is to Apparate to a new place—an apartment no less!" She argues, but knowing her, it is likely she just lost track of time.

"Don't worry; we still have an hour and a half before we have to meet her. But I need to swing by the music store first to borrow some music from Mick, so I'm thinking we can walk. It's a nice day for a stroll."

"You know, you have to use Apparition eventually."

I smirk and prop my legs up on the sofa. "Actually, I don't."

ϟ

With only a week left of the summer break, Diagon Alley is bustling with students and parents buying school supplies and catching up with friends. Despite the passing of the heatwave, the temperatures remain well above average for August. Therefore, we plan to meet up at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour. Unfortunately, so did everyone else, as the place had a queue by the time Marlene and I arrived—Lily nowhere in sight.